ISO recipes/ideas for capers...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Aside from Caponata, Salmon and Tuna that are already mentioned, capers are great with roasted bell peppers... very nice antipasto, also great for bruschetta...

Bake the whole peppers in the oven at 180°C/350°F for about 40minutes, turning them over once in the middle. Let them cool a little, when they are safe to touch but still very warm, peel off the outer skin, remove the seedy centre, then tear them into strips, dress them with caper and pine nuts. Drizzle some good evoo over, serve them chilled or at room temperature.

* We use salted capers, and rinse them well before adding them to our food, they are still salty enough after rinsing, without rinsing, way too salty!!

* for roasted peppers, you can roast some garlic cloves together, then mash it and mix with bell pepper and other things... additional flavour!

urmaniac13 said:
Bake the whole peppers in the oven at 180°C/350°F for about 40minutes, turning them over once in the middle. Let them cool a little, when they are safe to touch but still very warm, peel off the outer skin, remove the seedy centre, then tear them into strips, dress them with caper and pine nuts. Drizzle some good evoo over, serve them chilled or at room temperature.

Sounds great! My mouth is watering thinking about that one... i love roasted peppers.

bknox- tuna sandwich! That sounds nice.. i bet it adds a nice, salty taste. I will have to try that. :)

I was kinda surprised nobody brought their main (well, in American standards) use up...Great if you want to take the easy route with using them...

Tartar sauce. All it is is mayo, capers, pickles, chives, parsley and (credit to Emeril for turning me on to this last ingredient for his take on tartar) stone ground mustard (Polish mustard works well too, but not everybody likes the bite Polish mustard has). Tastes SOOOOOO much better than the stuff out of a jar.

Course I failed/forgot to mention it too, but that's just a minor detail :P

Last edited:
Capers in mashed potatoes - I like the idea! Hey, how long can an open jar of capers stay good in the fridge? Do they ever go bad or stay okay forever because of the salt?

If they're brined in salt and vinegar...they'll last longer than you'd ever need them to.

If you get the larger berries which are typically packed in water or oil, there's a shelf life.

The caper berries (large ones) that I have bought have been in a brine. I have never seen them in water or oil. I would love to find them in oil though.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom