Any cream of broccoli soup ideas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dina

Executive Chef
I have my very own simple cream of broccoli recipe but would like to tweak it a bit. It contains fresh chopped onions, garlic, broccoli, chicken stock, flour, butter, milk and cheddar cheese. Anyone have something different? Would adding chicken and/or rice make this recipe taste better? I need some variations since I need to cook this broccoli tonight before it goes bad in the fridge. Thanks in advance everyone.

Last edited:
Sounds a lot like my recipe with the exception that I add leeks and a little lemon juice.

Add crab, shrimp, or clams, serve over noodles or rice, sprinkle with bread crumbs and bake as a gratin in ramekins, or make a souffle. If serving as a soup, add some beer.

Last edited:
Dina said:
I have my very own simple cream of broccoli recipe but would like to tweak it a bit. It contains fresh chopped onions, garlic, broccoli, chicken stock, flour, butter, milk and cheddar cheese. Anyone have something different? Would adding chicken and/or rice make this recipe taste better? I need some variations since I need to cook this broccoli tonight before it goes bad in the fridge. Thanks in advance everyone.

Dina, would love to see your recipe. If you need to use up the broc., I have many recipes.

IC, mascarpone in soup? Never occured to me. Great idea.

Last edited:
Ironchef,
Have no mascarpone but cream cheese. Would that work?

Mish,
The recipe ingredients are listed in my original post. I really don't have measurements as I toss everything in and taste as I go. Make sure you saute the veggies in butter, toss garlic for one minute (don't overcook garlic or it will turn bitter), toss in the flour and make a rough, gradually add the milk and whisk to dissolve flour, add chicken stock and other spices you like in there (pepper, cayanne, paprika, etc), let it simmer for 20 minutes, add the chopped broccoli and cook until desired tenderness of broccoli, add cheddar at the end and let it melt, give it another toss and serve over a bed of white rice. Enjoy.

Here's a super quick broc soup I've made for years:

Cut broccoli into bite sized pieces, put into a casserole type dish and microwave with a bit of water/butter till nearly soft

Meanwhile, put about a pound of frozen hash brown potato cubes in a soup kettle (it's about 1/2 package) and add water till it's just covered. Add chicken bouillon cubes (as many as you'd like). Heat till it boils. Add 2 cans creamed corn, 2 cans evaporated milk, salt and pepper. Add broccoli and stir together. Cook another few minutes till flavors are incorporated. Serve each bowl with grated cheddar on top.

I'm looking for a cream of broccoli soup that isn't thick. I can't bring myself to swallow it otherwise (no wise jokes :-p) What I would like to do is stir in a bit of cream just before serving, that way I can make my husband's soup creamier than my own. Does anyone have a base recipe that would work with this trick?

:) Add a little bit of beef base it will enhance the stock or a couple of the Knorr Vegetable Boullions.It sounds like you are looking for a bit more body to the flavors.It's also possible you just need some more salt,garlic? A little thyme is also good, another thing that is good in Brocolli Soup is a couple of drops or more of lemon juice and a pinch, a tiny pinch of nutmeg. Without the cream you just are not going to get that rich taste that comes with cream soups.
Dont forget you need a bit of black or white pepper.
If you dont like it real thick then cut back on the flour and butter roux then it wont be so thick and then you can add the cream.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom