Is Space Exploration Worth It?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
GB said:
TG you are not offending anyone. Everyone is entitled to their opinions and you opinion is just as valuable as anyone elses.

While space exploration may not have cured any diseases (yet) it had improved medical technology in many many ways and I do not doubt that with further exploration we may see cures come out of space.

Here is one article that talks about medical advances from pace makers to the implantable insulin pump and others.
I sure do hope so.... we have so many diseases,where people lose thier lives way to young... so I am all for it even if there is a slight chance...

Here is a facinating article about what we are discussing. The good stuff starts about halfway down with this paragraph...

Some, of course, maintain that the U.S. should simply not be involved in human space flight to begin with. This brings us to the classic argument of whether human space exploration in general is a good thing, worth reviewing in light of the current plans.

Start reading there if you don't want to read all of the article.

sattie said:
Like I said, I never doubt the value of exploration.... I just doubt the ability of our government to use our money wisely.

Can I get an Amen?!?!

The ability of professional politicians to appear stupid has never ceased to amaxe me!

Recently, after their lawyers tol them it would be illegal, the Detroit city council voteds a water rate increase for the suburbs only...

Needless to say, it hit the fan!

As for the space thing, I'm on the fence there are benefits, but it there are sacrifices, too.

John

OK guys we need to remember to not let politics work its way into this discussion.

Check out this page for more benefits of the space program.

GB said:
They are not just jumping in a spaceship and going for a joy ride.
That sure would be fun though. Fuel up the spaceship Sushi, lets go for a ride! :ROFLMAO:

I wonder if pizza dough would rise in space? That would be worth the 3.5 B to find out.:mrgreen:

MJ said:
That sure would be fun though. Fuel up the spaceship Sushi, lets go for a ride! :ROFLMAO:

I wonder if pizza dough would rise in space? That would be worth the 3.5 B to find out.:mrgreen:

I would go if there is pizza!

GB said:
TG you are not offending anyone. Everyone is entitled to their opinions and you opinion is just as valuable as anyone elses.

While space exploration may not have cured any diseases (yet) it had improved medical technology in many many ways and I do not doubt that with further exploration we may see cures come out of space.

Here is one article that talks about medical advances from pace makers to the implantable insulin pump and others.

I'm very glad these medical breakthroughs were done by means of NASA. And yes, I'm a negative person with this, because, what I read, is, that they didn't make these things because of some medical condition, they made them to help space exploration. The blood pressure machine was made to see what happens to Alan Shepherds blood pressure when they take off. It's more like playing and seeing what they can make, to do things like this. It wasn't made because a man came to the Dr. with chest pain and made to see why his heart was bothering him. That to me is making medical history, not playing in space and THEN thinking that it can be used to help somewhere else. In the time that they were using it on Shepherd in space, they could possibly have saved lives because they were concentrating on " ooo, I wonder what his heart does at that speed"
Don't get me wrong, these things have helped lots of people and saved lives, but, my point is that it should have been made in the name of medical technology, not, space travel technology.
I'm rambling and probably don't make sense. That is why I have never been good at fighting for what I believe in. I don't have the right words to say what I'm wanting to say.:-p Oh well, hopefully someone can make sense out of my ramblings.

corazon90 said:
Why can't we find the cure for the common cold? I'm miserable here.

have you ever tried that airborne stuff? Actually Wal mart has their own brand ummm called something like Germ defense... works great to fight a cold!
:)

Ok..... great. An offshoot from NASA is spiffy. Dont you think though.... that instead of the government paying for a 3.5 billion PROBE and getting better dental floss as an after thought...... that it would be in the tax payers interest to let companies "discover" these niffty things?

Also put into perspective. Research from private companies have discovered 100s of thousands of niffty things. If we are spending 3.5 billion for a probe and all we see from it is a better type of foam that a private company could have discovered INSTEAD of NASA...... then us as a tax payer are getting ripped off!
21.gif

Now GB.... outside of the "off-shoot"s of these expensive toys..... what have the ACTUAL toy done for us???
3.gif

I wonder if pizza dough would rise in space? That would be worth the 3.5 B to find out.:mrgreen:[/quote]

Dag nab it... now you gone and done made me hungry, thinking about your pizza! LOL

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: Ok MJ! My ship should be built right after the 2nd comming of Jesus is due. :w00t: By that time we could ask Him to see if pizza dough will rise in the vaccum of space!!! :ROFLMAO:
I wonder...... if the yeast survives.... Im sure it can rise! I'll write NASA so they can build a probe that shoots out pizza dough (made by MJ of course) at one of the moons of Jupiter (its warmer than most planets so it might help it rise. LOL!!!!!!!!)

Look. I'll put in 1/4 of my pay check (when I get another job. :neutral: ) into NASA if it develops a gene that can make most women have freckles with red hair. OR......
A gene that makes ME irresistable to the women Im attracted too.
ORRR.....
A beer that has great taste AND is less filling!!! :rolleyes:

MMMMMMM Space Pizza :)

Sush, I am not sure why you are downplaying the "offshoots". Aren't these things worth anything? They are currently saving millions of lives.

Also I am not sure where this $3.5 billion number is coming from. Did you read that somewhere?

-DEADLY SUSHI- said:
Look. I'll put in 1/4 of my pay check (when I get another job. :neutral: ) into NASA if it develops a gene that can make most women have freckles with red hair. OR......
A gene that makes ME irresistable to the women Im attracted too.
ORRR.....
A beer that has great taste AND is less filling!!! :rolleyes:
Now those things WOULD be worth $3.5B :LOL:

I got the figure from MSNBCs coverage. Its on the SPACE page.

Here is what youre saying.......
Say we build the Titanic to explore the ocean waves or something. Darn thing hits an iceburg and sinks. What did we get out of it? A 500 million dollar discovery that we should put more lifeboats on a cruise ship and Leonardo DiCaprio cant act. :glare:

-DEADLY SUSHI- said:
Say we build the Titanic to explore the ocean waves or something. Darn thing hits an iceburg and sinks. What did we get out of it? A 500 million dollar discovery that we should put more lifeboats on a cruise ship and Leonardo DiCaprio cant act. :glare:
We don't need to spend 500 mil to find out the LD can't act :LOL:

That is not at all what I am saying. To go along with your analogy, Out of that situation we would gain knowledge of how to prevent tradgedys like that in the future. How to build better lifeboats. How to contruct better life preservers. The alternative would be never leaving our backyard. Staying in the same spot we have always been instead of going out and exploring and learning new things.

DS you seem to be all for ocean exploration. The same problems can happen with that as with space exploration.

-DEADLY SUSHI- said:
I got the figure from MSNBCs coverage. Its on the SPACE page.

:ROFLMAO: That's great, Sushi!!

I can only wonder if the families of the "alien astronauts" who crashed into the New Mexico desert near Roswell in 1947 thought their loved one's lives were worth the sacrifice to explore distant regions of space in search of answers to the origins of the universe, possibly their origins, and to determine if they were alone in the universe? :alien::alien::alien:

Should money be spent to explore the unknown? I don't know ... but without both the money and the exploration - we might still be living with the idea that the earth is flat.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom