Salt crust on baked potatoes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

duker

Assistant Cook
I have been trying to find out how to make baked potatoes that have a salt crust on the skin. Does anyone know how it's done?

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Beat an egg white in a shallow bowl. Put sea salt or kosher salt in another shallow bowl or plate. Wash and dry 4 russet/baking potatoes. Prick all over with a fork. Roll in beaten egg white and then in salt until well-coated. Bake on the rack in the middle of the oven for 1 hour. Serve with butter and/or sour cream, and freshly ground black pepper to taste…. or any other topping you’d like.

I tried the oil and kosher salt but after wrapping in foil and cooking, the salt had melted and left a stickey mess rather than the little chunks.:mad:

Hence why I changed my post :P. Re-read. No oil involved. I had to give it some thought (and then gank actual instructions)

Basically what you need to get a salt crust on a potato is a glue. Oil isn't really "glue-like"...proteins, however, make great glues...and nothing has more protein in liquid form than an egg.

Here's the way I've done it for years. Prick the potato all over with a fork. Brush the spud with either melted butter, or bacon grease (I prefer the bacon grease). Sprinkle the tater with salt and freshly-ground black pepper. Bake as you normally do.

Back
Top Bottom