Refrigerator Is On It's Way Out.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Corey123

Washing Up
My fridge is on it's way out. It looks to be at least about 20 years old. It works, but it won't keep certain types of produce properly, causing bunches of celery to freeze up. The control is set to the warmest setting, yet this still happens all too often!:mad:

Also, the tracks for the produce crisper are broken. To have the thing even looked at would cost too much money, and to have it fixed, well, it would be probably about $500.00 or more - the cost of a new one.:rolleyes:

I'm looking for an apartment-size unit about 12 cubic feet or so. Two-door frost free. I found two possiblities online at Sears, A General Electric 12.0 cubic foot and a Kenmore 10.3 cubic foot.:neutral:

Do any of you have either one of these models? If so, do you like them and do they work well? Or do you have any other suggestions on what to get?:ermm:

~Corey123.

Last edited:
I sympathize with you - I've been down that road. Before my old fridge died it kept everything in the crisper frozen solid (nothing like frozen lettuce!) Try looking up reviews/info at www.consumersearch.com. They compile reviews and ratings from all searches (including Consumer Reports). I used this site when I was on my own refrigerator hunt. BTW, keep in mind that Amana makes alot of the Kenmore brands as well (they are sold under the Kenmore label at Sears and they are also a very good brand).

Last edited:
Thank you!

Whirlpool, Frigidaire, Danby and others also make Kenmore refrigerators & freezers for Sears.

~Corey123.

Also check out epinions.com. It is a great site to read about what experiences others have had with products.

Funny you should say that.

I'm a member over there (Daquan). I wrote 181 reviews on products I use or have used so far.

And I checked the two models that I've narrowed my search down to. One is listed, the other isn't (GE model# GTS12BBP).

The one that's listed (Kenmore model# 61042), no one wrote a review on this yet, so I might end up getting that one and breaking the ice iwth a review on it.

Are you a member at Epinions.com also?

~Corey123.

Last edited:
I am not a member, but I use that site anytime I am making any kind of large purchace or anytime I am researching a product. I find it to be one of the most helpful sites around. Maybe one of these days I will become a member.

It would be nice if you did!

You'd be helping others to make smart buying decisions. Also, you'd get paid for it!

You must have seen my name there during your searches. Check out some of my reviews next time you're there.

I also wrote a review on my K'Aid K5SS & K45SS Stand Mixers as well. They both got ratings of Very Helpful.

~Corey123.

Last edited:
Maybe my opnion is biased, having worked for GE, but I didn't work in the appliance division.

I'd stay clear of any GE appliance. Part of this goes to my knowing GE's business practices internally, but the other part is hearing those that have GE appliances have nothing but complaints about them. My in laws had a townhouse built for their retirement. Fully stocked with all GE appliances. They don't have an appliance they did not have a problem with that I am aware of. Washer, drier, icebox, stove, and microwave.

Kenmore has always been good stuff. My folks had Kenmore products, including appliances, when I was young. The only gripe with Kenmore is they are the only ones that can service their appliances, and where you can get the parts from. Now, maybe some places are starting to get parts, but they are buying them from Sears/Kenmore, who is for sure marking them up to the other companies. I like Kenmore, but hate the fact that Sears is the only place to get parts, service, and accessories.

We've got a Frigidare (sp?) in our rental town house, and it works just fine. Not sure how old it is, but t'aint new, I know. I've heard good things about Whirlpool as well. Oh, and MayTag, though I don't know if they do refrigeration.

BigDog said:
...Oh, and MayTag, though I don't know if they do refrigeration.

Maytag does make refrigerators. I bought one in 2000. It's a 21 foot top freezer model. It was top rated when I bought it then problems started cropping up with the brand. My fridge is working fine, I hope I didn't jinx it.

Andy M. said:
Maytag does make refrigerators. I bought one in 2000. It's a 21 foot top freezer model. It was top rated when I bought it then problems started cropping up with the brand. My fridge is working fine, I hope I didn't jinx it.

In that case, I'd go Maytag. Their products seem dang near bullet proof! :cool:

BigDog said:
Maybe my opnion is biased, having worked for GE, but I didn't work in the appliance division.

I'd stay clear of any GE appliance. Part of this goes to my knowing GE's business practices internally, but the other part is hearing those that have GE appliances have nothing but complaints about them. My in laws had a townhouse built for their retirement. Fully stocked with all GE appliances. They don't have an appliance they did not have a problem with that I am aware of. Washer, drier, icebox, stove, and microwave.

Kenmore has always been good stuff. My folks had Kenmore products, including appliances, when I was young. The only gripe with Kenmore is they are the only ones that can service their appliances, and where you can get the parts from. Now, maybe some places are starting to get parts, but they are buying them from Sears/Kenmore, who is for sure marking them up to the other companies. I like Kenmore, but hate the fact that Sears is the only place to get parts, service, and accessories.

We've got a Frigidare (sp?) in our rental town house, and it works just fine. Not sure how old it is, but t'aint new, I know. I've heard good things about Whirlpool as well. Oh, and MayTag, though I don't know if they do refrigeration.

There IS a small GE apartment-size frost free fridge listed at Epinions.com, but one of the members there badmouthed it, saying that her food spoils in it!

GE has changed the design of their major appliances somewhat, over the years. And yes, BigDog, their large appliances leave much to be desired. Their products also have gone down the crapper!

Also, Maytag has gone to crap. Their washers & dryers are not made like they were from the '60s to the '90s. I've seen a bunch of their stuff badmouthed over at Epinions.com! And BTW, they are also contemplating a deal to be absorbed by Whirlpool.

Frigidaire is pretty decent with their refrigerators, freezers and air conditioners, but their washers, dryers and dishwashers are all crap as well!
And I haven't found anything in their size fridge I'm looking for.

Kenmore seems to be the brand that I most likely would end up getting. My compact portable washer / dryer pair and the microwave oven are all Kenmore products.

But be very careful when choosing their smaller front-loading washers and dryers and their low-end diashwashers. These are Frigidaire look-alikes, which means that they are made by Frigidaire - hence those models are crap, the ones that are more than likely to be particularly troublesome.

Buy a top-loading mid priced Kenmore instead.

Whirlpool (also makes most Kenmore home products) is good I've seen a Kenmore look-alike model of the fridge I'm interested in at Best Buy. Whirlpool also makes
Estate, Ingels, Roper and the elite KitchenAid.

~Corey123.

Last edited:
corey, did you drop or crack the refrigerator?

if so, it could be leaking freon, in which case it could be dangerous. you could get cancer from breathing in freon. the guy that created refrigeration died from it... :rolleyes:

(i hope andy and michael don't read this.)

How would it be leaking freon if it freezes up produce?

In any event, I'm going to replace it sometime this spring or summer.

~Corey123.

Maytag seems to be loosing its reputation quickly. Kenmore seems able to adapt to today's needs and climate. just my experience.

Maytag is one of the manufacturers that makes refrigerators for Kenmore. They contract with several manufacturers to provide various models with different features.

I think this is how it goes with Kenmore;

Whirlpool, Maytag or Amana makes the elite high-end to mid priced Kenmore refrigerators, such as the the SBS'S, TF's, FD's ane BF's.

Frigidaire makes the intermediate TF models, while Danby or Heier makes the low-end frost-free & manual defrost models.

Same thing with the freezers, washers & dryers.

But still I think I'll go with a Kenmore fridge, since I've had good reliable service with all their appliances. Oh, and one of my room air conditioners is also a Kenmore.

Maytag's products are all crap.

~Corey123.

Last edited:
Corey:

Kenmore has consistently been a solid performer with kitchen appliances. Their stuff gets consistently good ratings.

I have a Kenmore upright freezer, washer and dryer that are trouble free for 7 years so far.

We recently bought a new refrigerator, and I consulted with a friend of mine who is an applianace repairman. He's seen them all, and here is his advice:

Don't buy a side-by-side....they cause more trouble than any other.
Spend the extra money and buy an Amana.
Bottom freezer drawerr is best.

Last edited:
But I reside in a small apartment on the top (4th) floor and the stairs are narrow, with makes getting a BF impossible, much less very expensive. The landlord who lives downststairs just replaced his old fridge last summer and had to settle for a 14 cubic foot model for himself and his 14-year-old son.

Also,I'm presently unemployed and living on unemployment benefits until I complete the training coarse I'm in and get a job. As it is, I'll have to dip into my IRA account in order to get some money for this new fridge.

The old fridge could go any day now. Don't want to be caught with spoiled food.

~Corey123.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom