Fondue Oil Confusion!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CommMajor101

Assistant Cook
Hi everyone,
Man am I glad I joined this forum! It is beyond helpful. Anyways, I was wondering, I have a fondue recipe that I'm cooking tomorrow night and the recipe calls for oil to cook the meat in. But when I went to the store today there were so many types of oil! What kind do I use for actually cooking meat? Thanks for your help!

It really doesn't matter. Corn, canola, safflower, peanut - they will all work. If you want to use an olive oil - look for the big cans labeled "Pure Olive Oil" - this is refined olive oil, has little if any olive flavor, and has a higher smoke point than Extra Virgin or Virgin (and a heck of a lot cheaper).

I'll add to your confusion. My husband loves it when I make fondue using stock! We cook the meat in the stock, then we can all have a cup of it after. But I'm with Mike, I use the same kinds of oils. You want something neutral. I am so glad to see fondue making a come-back. I love hands-on cooking parties, and fondue is one that is absolutely the most fun.

Using stock instead of oil is called fondue chinoise--akin to Mongolian hot pot. Makes a great meal.
Don't use olive oil for fondue. The oil must be kept VERY hot in order to cook the meat correctly. Use any of the vegetable oils, as listed above.

Back
Top Bottom