Cooked Lamb Recipe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kamool

Assistant Cook
Hi,

Have a lot of lamb left over from yesterdays roast and just wanting a recipe where I can use the leftover lamb.

Any ideas?

Make a lamb shwarma sandwich. It is a middle eastern pita sandwich similar to a Gyro but with a different flair.

Ingredients:
Left over lamb (deboned) and shredded or sliced
1 tbsp of oil
Zest From One Orange
Zest from One Lemon
pinch of cardamom
pinch of cinnamon
pinch of black pepper
salt to taste
Chopped fresh parsley

Pita Bread
Thinly sliced onion
Pickled cucumbers (cucumbers sliced thinly and marinated with a tiny bit of salt and dash of vinegar)
Hummus (you can get readymade or make it at home) - I like to make mine at home with chickpeas, tahini paste, lemon juice, olive oil, garlic and jalapeno (since I like a bit spicy spread).

In a saute pan. Add oil, once it's hot add the lamb along with the zest of lemon, orange along with the powdered cardamom, powdered cinnamon, black pepper and salt. Stir it together to ensure the flavors permeate through the lamb. Take it off the heat and then sprinkle it with a liberal dose of freshly chopped parsley.

To assemble, warm a pita with a small dollop of butter (everything tastes better with butter). Place a nice heaping bunch of lamb in the middle of the pita, top it with sliced onions, pickled cucumbers and a nice few dollops of hummus. Roll it and secure it with a toothpick and serve it with a simple salad or fruit salad.

Yakuta said:
Make a lamb shwarma sandwich. It is a middle eastern pita sandwich similar to a Gyro but with a different flair.

Ingredients:
Left over lamb (deboned) and shredded or sliced
1 tbsp of oil
Zest From One Orange
Zest from One Lemon
pinch of cardamom
pinch of cinnamon
pinch of black pepper
salt to taste
Chopped fresh parsley

Pita Bread
Thinly sliced onion
Pickled cucumbers (cucumbers sliced thinly and marinated with a tiny bit of salt and dash of vinegar)
Hummus (you can get readymade or make it at home) - I like to make mine at home with chickpeas, tahini paste, lemon juice, olive oil, garlic and jalapeno (since I like a bit spicy spread).

In a saute pan. Add oil, once it's hot add the lamb along with the zest of lemon, orange along with the powdered cardamom, powdered cinnamon, black pepper and salt. Stir it together to ensure the flavors permeate through the lamb. Take it off the heat and then sprinkle it with a liberal dose of freshly chopped parsley.

To assemble, warm a pita with a small dollop of butter (everything tastes better with butter). Place a nice heaping bunch of lamb in the middle of the pita, top it with sliced onions, pickled cucumbers and a nice few dollops of hummus. Roll it and secure it with a toothpick and serve it with a simple salad or fruit salad.

Yakuta, I love shwarma. Your recipe sounds delish. Thank you. We have a few places out here that serve the lamb in a pita pocket with tzaiki (sp?) sauce, that's fab-u-lous and some jumbo wedge fries on the side. Recently I found a neighborhood place that has so many great pita sandwiches. I took home an eggplant, falafel and a shwarma. Another idea is pastitsio or mousakka.

Last edited:
Kamool you can use orange zest with the lamb but not orange juice in hummus (if you plan to make it at home). You will need lemon for that.

Mish, I am sure my recipe is not extremely authentic but then I like to play around with the sauces and ingredients and put together something that appeals to my family and my palate (like adding jalapenos or chillies to my hummus - LOL).

The taziki sauce is good as well and is what is a popular condiment with Gyros. I like hummus with my Shwarma since it gives it more of a middle-eastern flair.

make a stew with mushrooms carrots peas herbs beer and white sauce (or use mushroom soup) very tasty and the beer hides the canned soup taste. serve over noodles

That's a great idea Robo. We always have leftover lamb. I'll try the stew some time. Tonight it's gyros.

Saute some onions and garlic, add cubed eggplant and saute. Add some spices--basil, oregano. Add a can of diced tomatoes and cubed lamb. Put in casserole, top with some parmesan and bake.

how about a shepard's pie?
chop or pull lamb, add a little gravy or broth, mix with some blanched veggies like peas and diced carrots (or whatever veggies you have leftover) and carmelized diced onions. spoon into a gratin dish and cover with mashed potatoes, place a pat of butter on top and bake until the top of the potatoes form a crust.

Why not try Leftover Lamb Curry
1 apple, diced
1 onion, diced
4 tbsp. butter
Garlic powder to taste
1 to 2 tbsp. curry
1 tsp. ground ginger
1/4 tsp. pepper
2 c. chicken stock or 2 chicken bouillon in 2 cups water
½ c. raisins
3 c. cooked diced lamb

Sauté apples and onion in butter. Sprinkle with garlic powder, curry powder, ground ginger, and ground pepper and cook until soft. Add cornstarch. Gradually stir in chicken stock; add lamb and raisins. Simmer 30 minutes. Serves 4 to 6.

Add at table, mango chutney, coconut flakes, salted almonds, bacon bits, pineapple chunks.

IMHO Shepherd’s Pie can be a bit dull. However, it can be given a lift if you add a scant tsp each of allspice, cinnamon, and ground cloves. Furthermore, I prefer to top with mashed cooked carrot instead of mashed potato.

Don’t forget the good old standby for leftover lamb; Rissoles.

450g (1lb) cooked lamb passed through the mincer (grinder)
75g (3oz) Breadcrumbs, fresh or dried
5 tbsp Tomato Ketchup
1 Egg
1 tbsp Oil
1 tsp Freshly Ground Black Pepper
1 tsp Dried Mixed Herbs
1 Clove Garlic, crushed

Place all of the ingredients except the oil into a bowl and mix thoroughly.
Shape into balls.
Heat the oil in a heavy based frying pan on high heat.
Fry the rissoles until golden brown, turning as required.
Reduce the heat and allow to cook through.

I second it lamb curry. There was a very old lamb recipe made as sweet and sour sauce with pineapple, marshino cherries, sherry wine and lamb over rice. Very good. Sorry I do not have the recipe but I fake it sometimes.

Lamb Curry is nice with additional fruit. But may I give a tip? Add the fruit for the last five minutes of the cooking, otherwise the flavours are drowned. I have not used maraschino cherries but I sometimes use chunks of peaches instead of the pineapple. Apple is also a nice additive, again for the last five minutes only.

advoca said:
IMHO Shepherd’s Pie can be a bit dull. However, it can be given a lift if you add a scant tsp each of allspice, cinnamon, and ground cloves. Furthermore, I prefer to top with mashed cooked carrot instead of mashed potato.

yummm,, good ideas advoca, thanks. i've never thought of mashed carrot, i'll try a mix of carrot and spuds next time. i've tried sweet potatoes with success.

i like the idea of allspice and cloves, but i'm not a fan of cinnamon, except with fruit. i like to add a little allspice, cloves and bay leaves to water used to make rice, and boil them for a few minutes before adding the rice.

Buy a package of couscous (I generally buy unflavored MidEast). I reconstitute it with chicken stock according to instructions.

Then toss in your minced leftover lamb (if you don't have leftover, buy ground or chop up some inexpensive cut and sautee).

Add:

almonds or pine nuts
some sort of chopped dried fruit -- anything from raisins to dates
capers or green peppercorns
any fresh herbs you like: parsley, sage, cilantro, chives, green onions, etc

Drizzle the completed dish with olive oil or melted butter (ghee would be better, but I'm too lazy)

Serve with a cucumber/yogurt/mint salad, and a relish tray with lots of olives and nuts as a first course.

Back
Top Bottom