Favorite Food Memories

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Claire

Master Chef
I've started this thread before, but there are a lot of newbies since then. What are your favorite food memories? This can be anything from cooking yourself, remembering Mom, Grandma, etc, cooking; favorite restaurants from your past, etc.

One of my favorites is being 11 or 12 years old. We were stationed in Germany. We were vacationing in Garmisch. One night Mom found a sitter for baby sis (so I actually must have been 13), and planned a big surprise. We went to this big dance hall (what it seemed to be then), and Dad ordered a huge cheese platter for supper. Then the dance floor rolled up to a sheet of ice underneath. The performers came out and there was this spectacular ice show by various European olympians. This was long before the various ice shows now in the US. It was a magical night. The place was called Casa Carioca, and I've heard it since burned down. But whenever I prepare a cheese platter, I'm carried back to that night. Having nothing but cheese and limonade for dinner seemed so decadent.

I remember going to visit my cousins in CT. I was probably about 10 or so I am guessing. I liked my cousins a lot, but my uncle was a bit stuffy. Don't get me wrong, he is a great guy and very friendly, but stuffy none the less. Well we were all eating dinner in their dining room and I don't remember who started it, but all of a sudden we were in the middle of a whipped cream fight with my uncle leading the pack. We laughed so hard especially since you never would have expected it from him.

Claire, I LOVE Garmisch, my most favorite place in the whole wide world.

My food memories ( and I have a million) are something I really enjoy. One of my favorites was a fish fry with my dad's family, my grandmother, dad's sisters and their kids. My uncle had a huge pond and they got so many fish, what kind I have no idea, and my mom and aunts fried the fish in a huge black cast iron pot on a fire. The ladies brought cole slaw, potato salad and a myriad of other dishes, plus dessert. The fish and hush puppies were the best I've ever had. Well into our meal, the rain started coming down in torrents and we got underneath the tailgates of the trucks, or inside the ones with covers on them and some got in cars to finish their meal. After the rain stopped, we all sat around the fire till quite late.

1. Growing Up - Holiday meals with immediate or extended family. Waking up to the smell of holiday food already being prepared... or going to grandparents' house to see family that we hadn't seen for a while to enjoy holiday food.

2. US Navy - I was stationed 5 years in the south of Spain. Enjoyed tapas and tastes of fresh seafood that I had never experienced before. YUM!

3. (Very Honorable Mention) - When I was a young adult in Sioux City, IA... There was a little hole-in-the-wall eatery called "Ken's Ribbery". This little place had the best wet bar-b-qued racks of ribs I have ever tasted. They were great value (cheap) and tender, meaty and delicious. It only existed for a short time but will forever be one of my favorite food memories.

Grandma was a wonderful cook and we had 1000's of great meals at her house. One morning though she made fried eggs. They were horrid. Hard and rubbery. We couldn't cut them. We laughed for hours that day about those eggs, Grandma was laughing too. For years she'd ask us what we wanted for breakfast lunch or dinner and we'd all say anything but fried eggs.... gee.. doesn't sound funny after I typed it. But really it was a great morning at Grandma's. I miss her so much.

pdswife you just reminded me of another favorite food memory. A friend of mine and I went to FL years ago to visit my grandparents. We were probably about 14 years old I think. Grandma is an excellent cook was making dinner. We were having some sort of roast I think and she was also making mashed potatoes. She decided to use the food processor to make them. Well she made them and put them on the table. She was still doing other things in the kitchen so she told Seth and I to start and not wait for her. We both dug in with gusto. Man those mashed potatoes were HORRIBLE. It was like eating glue. Now both Seth and I were raised well and ate everything we put on our plate without saying a word. Grandma asked how they were and we both lied and said they were great. She came in, sat down, took some potatoes, and spit them into her napkin. "How can you boys eat this crap? These are disgusting!!!". We laughed so hard and told her we were just being polite. She quickly threw them out and ordered a pizza for us :)

I had a wonderful grandmother too. She was probably the sweetest person I've ever known. After she died, several of my cousins and I were talking and one said, I always thought I was her favorite grandchild. The rest of us said, no, we were her favorite. It was so funny that she gave us all the idea we were so important to her.

She was also a wonderful cook and always had something special for us, whether she expected us or not.

Yeah, if I ever get back to Europe for any length of time, Garmish, Oberamegau ('scuse the spelling), and other Black Forest locations will definitely be on the agenda. I'd like to live in Europe for about two years so I can see everything I want to.

Family food memories are numerous. Unlike y'all, my grandmothers couldn't cook to save their lives. they were French-Canadian New Englanders living in New Hampshire, and all they did was bake roasts until they died or boiled dinners. Don't get me wrong, I love New England Boiled Dinners once in awhile, be them with ham, beef, chicken or corned beef. But you can only eat these basics for so long without a yawn. We have one memory of one grandmother who put fish under the broiler and a gosh-awful smell and smoke came out .... she had put lemon, butter, etc on it .... without removing the plastic wrap! My Memere -- I honestly don't remember her ever cooking, just Pepere. And very basic at that.

When the folks got married, Daddy presented Mommy with a "Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook". You know, the one with a red plaid cover. She learned from scratch. Since we were a military family, she learned from a lot of "war brides" -- French, German, Japanese, Korean -- wives. She was an excellent cook who dabbled in everything. I'm using past tense, she still is an excellent cook, but these days sticks to more basic cuisines. Hubby cracked up when we were on the road and he realized that I wasn't kidding. ALL of my friends growing up had French "war bride" mothers, and we ate like royalty on a shoestring. I'll never forget going with one friend and her mom to a rabbit farm in Utah where you picked out the bunny and they butchered and cleaned it for you. It made my best friend squirm, but I guess I was born a foodie, because I didn't even cringe (no we didn't watch, we sat on a porch swing while the deed was done) and to this day I remember the meal that followed and love to prepare rabbit (which I buy frozen these days). I also remember baby sis just learning to walk, tripping, and falling underneath a deer that was hanging on our neighbor's half of a pergola when we lived in a base housing duplex. Boy did she scream when she looked up! But that year every member of this family shot their limit and there were deer hanging everwhere. I guess some would find it scary, but I still love venison (and it is much better now than it was in those days) and 'though I'm not into hunting, I cage some from all of the "hunting widows" I know who are tired of it.

Burying pigs in hot coals in the dirt at Bud and Tooties' (had never heard of a lady named Tootie before) farm. My introduction to BBQ, Illinois style.

The first time I tried a habanero chili pepper. It got added it to a chicken rice-a-roni box mix to give it some flavor. Two orange peppers got used.

MAN-O-MAN was it hot. My dad was coughing, had watery eyes, blew his nose out. Had to get a glass of milk to dull the pain. Some funny funny stuff.

Cooking with my boyfriend, we have created so many food memories together, and all of our dishes have been exqusite.

:lucky:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom