Vonage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mugsy27

Sous Chef
ok, many people have been asking me what I think of voip and vonage in particular. i have setup voip at many sites at my old job, but never used it myself. until now...

at the request of friends, i made the switch and joined the vonage revolution. so far, i am VERY impressed!!

the process, although quite lengthly (took almost a full month) was very easy & smooth.

i LOVE the internet interface (can listen to voicemails over the net) and you can adjust all your settings (quality, etc) online.

i have only had it for a day now...but so far i HIGHLY reccomend making the switch.

the price is fantastic!! $24/ month and none of all the rediculious taxes and surcharges that verizon has. my bill will all the same features (even more with vonage) has gone from $74 down to $24.

vonage rox!!

I have heard about some problems with Vonage and the 911 system. I do not recall exactly what the problems were, but they are enough to make me not want to switch. Do you know anything about that mugsy?

It was a big deal here. This is the only thing that I could find. Not sure what happened. I think it is a miscommunication, but, I'm not sure. Mugsy, if this is still going on, call your Vonage people and make sure that you have the 911 access. Looks like you have to sign up for it.
I'll have to check into it though. Verizon is expensive for me at $133 a month for phone and DSL.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A58598-2005Mar22.html

Last edited:
My brother has voip. If I'm on IM with him so we can have cameras going and he calls me then his voice transmission gets *nasty* bad. In fact, if he's online in IM with someone else and I call him his voice transmission is just as bad. It's like the 'net connection he has can't handle the load.

To top that off, the sound is tinny and he "bounces" a lot when he moves around. So far I'm unconvinced. I had Knology cable/cable modem/telephone bundled and it isn't cheap but it's reliable, so long as a WWII warbird doesn't crash and take out all the fiber optic lines. :wacko:

Vonage 911 access

GB said:
I have heard about some problems with Vonage and the 911 system. I do not recall exactly what the problems were, but they are enough to make me not want to switch. Do you know anything about that mugsy?

Here is what Vonage has to say about 911 access:

http://www.vonage.com/features.php?feature=911&lid=footer_911

It appears that they are working out the problems but keep in mind that Vonage only works when your broadband connection is working so if you have a flaky cable or DSL service then you may have Vonage problems.

I am not sure mud, but I don't think you computer needs to be on. You connection just needs to be working which is usually is unless there is a problem.

that is correct GB, you dont need to leave your pc on..u just need to have a broadband connection (dial up wont work)

$49.95 is the complete setup fee (included voip router, 911, and the number transfer from existing carrier to vonage).

its a small price to pay for a $50 ++ / month saving on phone bill.

mugsy, could you please 'splain a little more....

what's voip router (yet another thing I have to plug into the computer? is there a port for it)
where does the actual phone go, or are we now depending on my broken computer speakers?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom