What is your favorite spring food?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

what is your fave spring food? Multi-choice poll

• Total voters
Most of these things are not spring items here. So I voted for asparagus and rhubarb. Cherries and strawberries are more of a summer fruit here, typically in June. Is there a season for lamb, ham, and what the heck is mache? I dont know the season for artichokes either, but it's not a common veggie here. As for easter eggs, they come in chocolate or we dye them :)

Strawberries, Asparaguses and Artichokes!! It is still a bit early for Asparaguses and Artichokes but they will be filling the market stalls very shortly... right now I am practically living on strawberries... it is in the height of the season and the season never last long enough... gotta enjoy while they last!!:-p

amber said:
Most of these things are not spring items here. So I voted for asparagus and rhubarb. Cherries and strawberries are more of a summer fruit here, typically in June. Is there a season for lamb, ham, and what the heck is mache? I dont know the season for artichokes either, but it's not a common veggie here. As for easter eggs, they come in chocolate or we dye them :)
this is why I said loosely spring. Lamb & ham are just easter dinner type foods that we always had. asparagus, artichokes & rhubarb are all in season for us right now. cherries and strawberries are kind of a late spring thing here. And mache is like salad greens, very tender. easter eggs, when else do you dye them? I suppose it really depends where you are and your climate.

Well, since strawberries, cherries and rhubarb are the only three things on that list not readily available year round (at least where I am)...and since cherries are more of a summer fruit...I'm gonna go with strawberries.

Will probably go with mache. It has such a lovely flavor.

Used to be able to get fiddlehead ferns which are great, It was available to us only during a few week period during the spring. Have not been able to get them recently where we live, unfortunately.

Course there is nothing better than fresh asparagus.

I voted for other, other being Kumamoto Oysters. Oysters usually are not at their best during the Spring months, but many Kumamoto's can hit their peak starting in March, then really peaking in April and May.

I voted asparagus, strawberries and ham. We do have strawberries in the spring and ham is such an Easter favorite. When I was in Germany the white asparagus was just in and I ate so much of that. Everywhere we went if they had it, that was what I got. I have never seen white asparagus here.

i chose the same as mm, asparagrass, cherries, and arty-chokes.

licia, i've grown white asparagus, but it is very hard to find in stores, and expensivissimo. being a cold weather veggie, i would think it even more rare in sunny florida.
and yes, it is delicious. it is regular asparagus, but before the spears break the ground, a box is put over the crown area to deprive the spears of light, therefore no chlorophyll forms and it stays pale white, and nuittily delicious. :)

before a mc-mansion was built next to my house, my old neighbor had a beautiful white cherry tree. sadly, it was cut down to make room for a deck.
i used to go over, and like a spring bird bound for northern roosts, i would engorge myself on the cherries, and fill a bucket to bring into the house.

and for artichokes, "if it choked artie, it sure ain't gonna choke stymie!"

I vote Asparagus but should of voted other also for mushrooms. Its almost time for mushroom hunting here and I can't wait. I haven't been able to go in years and truely look forward to it. Asparagus has to be one of my all time favorite veggies. A neighboring town where I grew up used to grow fields and fields of it....I think there was a packing plant. Anyway, we used to go when I was young and stop along the roadside and it just grows wild. I can't recall exactly where the spots were to go but my oldest brother does and he's coming down for Easter and I plan on having him take me there and I'm going to keep going back.

I voted "Other", since my favorite spring foods are the first fresh local outdoor produce of the season - Ramps & Fiddleheads. Ramps should be showing up at the local organic market in the next week or so, with Fiddleheads following a few weeks thereafter.

I really doubt this qualifies as spring food, mine would be steaks on the grill. It's something I really really miss during winter, and whenever I have the first steak of the season i swear its all i'll ever eat for the rest of my life.

BreezyCooking said:
I voted "Other", since my favorite spring foods are the first fresh local outdoor produce of the season - Ramps & Fiddleheads. Ramps should be showing up at the local organic market in the next week or so, with Fiddleheads following a few weeks thereafter.

I know what fiddleheads are, but what are ramps?

I voted for 3 or 4 things, but my favorites are asparagus and artichokes.

Ramps are a type of wild leek with a strong onion/garlic flavor. Some folks claim that eating them forces their scent/flavor right out of your pores, & there are entire festivals based on their consumption throughout the Appalachian areas.

Physically they don't look like a member of the onion family at all, having harrow stems, wide single leaves, & no real bulb to speak of. Here's a farm that sells them online & has some pics & further info:

http://www.rampfarm.com/

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom