Lasagna Night (April 1)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alix

Everymom
Moderator Emeritus
Hey everyone, want to do lasagna this weekend? Choose your favourite recipe and post it for us.

I'm going to do my standard lasagna and serve it with french bread and caesar salad.

Lasagna recipe

Brown some ground beef, onions and garlic. Add one large can of crushed tomatoes (and a can of tomato paste if needed). Put a small handful of brown sugar in with this and then season to taste with oregano, basil, salt and pepper. Let this simmer for a while.

To assemble, put a bit of tomato sauce in the bottom of the pan then a layer of uncooked lasagna noodles. Ladle some sauce on these then sprinkle a liberal layer of mozzarella and parmesan on this. Repeat until pan is full. End with cheese. Cover with foil and bake at 350 for one hour.

I have tried a chicken/spinach lasagna but my kids hated it. If anyone has a good recipe though, I would like to try that again sometime.

Um, I'll take part, but lasagna is one of those high effort dishes...my recipe is a little different.

1) Find your keys
2) Drive to Papa Murphy's Take-n-Bake
3) Purchase a lasagna from them
4) Take home
5) Put in oven

Though for those who wanna make their own, I've got an amazing recipe from Batali's Molto Italiano cookbook I'll convert over here later--too much work for me to make ever again--I just don't think enough about lasagna to put forth much effort for it, but it was **** tasty.

I've never made homemade sauce before. I use canned:ohmy:
I just layer the noodles, sauce, mozzerella, cottage cheese, parmessan and meat. Maybe I'll look around and find one that I think might be like my momma's.

I'm in!

Sounds good to me-Alix, I'd like to use your receipe. Sounds really good but a lot easier than most - Glenda

just made one for company last night. A great hit! (posted my ingredients on the March 26 menu thread.) I hope every one who takes part talkes about it, because whether it is a fancy authentic, or a simple family staple, or a quick fix version...somehow this dish always comes out being welcome and satisfying! enjoy!

I always do my no bake noodle lasagna with a side salad garlic bread and stuffed manicotti as well...

spdrdr said:
Sounds good to me-Alix, I'd like to use your receipe. Sounds really good but a lot easier than most - Glenda

I tend to look for the easiest and tastiest way to feed my family. We all love this one and you can add stuff to it to make it more to your liking. Hope you like it!

Have never made it with the dry noodles, have to try it.

Usually like to add sausage, maybe mixed half and half with ground beef, and mushrooms.

And always add ricotta.

Am not wedded to any of this stuff and would be happy to try other recipes.

Just the way I learned to make it..

I'm with auntdot on the mushrooms - a must. Preferably sauteed in a little butter and red wine first.

I can deal with either cottage cheese or ricotta.

And I always add the eggs.

You know, I was just thinking about lasagna. I have the ricotta, spinach and mozzerella, plus frozen spaghetti sauce in the freezer. . But I don't have the lasagna noodles or any frozen ravioli, which I sometimes substitute.
I do have a huge Sam's package of spaghetti, dried tortellini, and some kind of Italian pasta that looks like a little ear.
I know it won't be exactly lasagna, but I'll bet it will still be good!

Which of the pastas I have on hand would your choose?

mudbug said:
I would choose the little ears (orichettis?) because I've never had them. Go for it, Connie!

That's the name...thank you bug!

I'll let you know how it turns out, but really, how can it be bad?

I'd go for the little ears too Connie..They would be perfect with what you have on hand.

kadesma:)

Can't wait to hear about everyone's lasagna! I'm in major lazy mode so I'd better get my butt in gear and get that sucker made!

Well this is weird. I've never posted on here before, but my plan for tomorrow is lasagna, if I am ambitious enough. I make home made sauce always! I also make home made noodles, but I may buy a box if I feel too lazy. We usually like a lasagna with chicken and fresh cooked spinach, along with the sauce, and cheeses. But I may do a meat version, with cooked ground beef in the sauce. I let my sauce cook for 2-3 hours. I also add pepperoni for extra flavor.

Well, it was a big hit here. I used up some gouda cheese that had been sitting in the fridge far too long, and it added so much gooey yumminess to the lasagna. I also used a spinach tomato sauce with my ground beef and THAT was yummy too. Madeleine wasn't all that happy about it, but the rest of us LOVED it.

I am a bit surprised you all cooked lasagna with a tomato sauce (not that there is anything wrong with that..:) )

Here's two I made a while ago:

Lasagna with salmon:
11jan.jpg

I made a white sauce and added some boiled cod and used layers of smoked salmon... and fresh lasagna!

And 2 days ago I made Lasagna carbonara:chef:
Cheese saus and pancetta (bacon)
30maart.jpg

I made my regular with cottage, mozzerella and parm cheeses, beef.
I made me a veggie with red bells, yellow squash, eggplant and artichoke with red sauce, mozz and asiago cheese. I love it. Asiago tastes like romano cheese. Made cherry cheesecake too.
QUESTION: Will the meat lasagna still be good for lunch Monday? I don't know how to make just a little and I still have 3/4 of a 9x13 pan full and if I take it to work, it won't be wasted.

Last edited:
texasgirl said:
I made my regular with cottage, mozzerella and parm cheeses, beef.
I made me a veggie with red bells, yellow squash, eggplant and artichoke with red sauce, mozz and asiago cheese. I love it. Asiago tastes like romano cheese.
QUESTION: Will the meat lasagna still be good for lunch Monday? I don't know how to make just a little and I still have 3/4 of a 9x13 pan full and if I take it to work, it won't be wasted.
Hey Texas,
sure your lasagne will still be good. I always cover it and save it and we have leftovers on the 3rd or 4th day.As long as it's kept cold it will be fine. And you will have a great lunch.:)
kadesma

Back
Top Bottom