Throwing skillets away

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ham Hock

Cook
I have this big ole skillet that someone gave me for Christmas a long time ago.

The Teflon is long gone, at least in big places.

It's thin, it aint exactly a great skillet, but I know what it does.

I just cant make myself throw it away.

It's not that the Caphalon I want to replace it wont work just fine,
It's just something else.

I do not think that I could ever throw away an iron skillet.

There is just something about a skillet that we just know, is it not?

I just HATE throw this skillet away, but it is time.:neutral:

Last edited:
Ham, I just got rid of all my non-stick pans/skillets/pots last month.....and got a large amount of calphalon to replace it. At this point I don't even remember why I liked the others in the first place. Do it!

Toss it!

I would have to agree with Jkath. Switching out your skillets every once in a while isn't a bad thing. I do it every now and then, if they are beat up and broken.

Throw away the worst piece and then it gets easier. That is the way I attack anything I really need to part with. The first one is always the hardest to toss out.

If the pans aren't in too bad of shape, donate them to Salvation Army, Amvets, Purple Hearts, etc. I did that about two months ago. If the teflon is flaking off though, toss em.

Get rid off it and replace it with profecianal one. Don't do the Caphalon. Go to restaraunt supply store, you'd be surprise what you can get for the half of the price Caphalon would cost you.

My mom used to put these aside and take them camping. When it got dirty (they turn black on the bottom very quickly over an open fire!), she'd just throw it away. BUT ... really, peeling teflon means you're eating the stuff. NOT GOOD. Throw it away.

Ged rid of it.

Though you might be holding onto it for sentimental reasons, what would you do if that stuff came up into the food that you cook in it? Gotta think about that.

If the coating is peeling toss it IMMEDIATELY. Shop on Amazon for a replacement. If you want a non-stick, don't spend an arm and a leg on it. They can't be heated to high temps anyway, and will not brown meats as well as SS--Plus not getting to a high enough heat.

I had to make that decision myself when the time came to replace all that Teflon-coated cookware.

I hated to throw it away for sentimental reasons, but this became unattrative, dull and ugly, though I liked the blue color.

~Corey123.

Last edited:
I'd agree with the group here, toss it or pass it along. Take a few pictures of it, remember the good times and then think of all the fun you'll have with your new pan :)

jennyema said:
If the non-stick surface is peeling, you really should trash it.

Yes. You could become ill when that stuff flakes into your food.

pdswife said:
use it for a pot of a beautiful new plant and stick it outside some where.
Great idea Pds :) If you're into "country style" crafts I've also seen old skillets and pans used as the frame for things like finished cross stictches.

Back
Top Bottom