Barefoot Contessa

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

-DEADLY SUSHI-

Washing Up
Maybe its me. The picture of feet or a bare foot is not something I associate with anything positive. I'll say it. I hate feet. THERE! I feel better now. :mellow:

Anyhew, associating anything foodie, with the name "barefoot" in it really makes me stay away. Far far away. Its like saying "I just Picked My Nose Contessa" :sick:

Am I the only one that feels that way?

I'd never thought about it. I think there was a movie or book or something long ago called the Barefoot Contessa. I just thought perhaps she took the name from there. The way she pads about, she could be barefoot sometimes. I love her cooking - simple but elegant. BTW, most of the time I'm barefoot when I'm cooking - or at least in sockfeet.

I too love here cooking Licia. Sorry Sush but I never associated that with the name. I just thought it reflected how down to earth she was but with an elegant twist. I love the name myself.....but then again I don't have a foot phobia :)

You're right licia - she did take that name from the movie - I think it was the name of her shop. I like bare feet. I hardly ever wear shoes in the house - I like the feel of the seagrass rug, the Oriental rug, the hardwood - I even like to walk across gravel (as long as it's not too small) in my bare feet.

Julio Iglesias had a CD out along time ago called Crazy - love his bare feet! :angel:

Hey Sush! I bet if she had red hair you would overlook the foot thing :wub:

Last edited:
kitchenelf said:
You're right licia - she did take that name from the movie - I think it was the name of her shop. I like bare feet. I hardly ever wear shoes in the house - I like the feel of the seagrass rug, the Oriental rug, the hardwood - I even like to walk across gravel (as long as it's not too small) in my bare feet.

Julio Iglesias had a CD out along time ago called Crazy - love his bare feet! :angel:

Hey Sush! I bet if she had red hair you would overlook the foot thing :wub:

Me too Kitch.....thats one of the things I'm looking forward too with Spring/Summer coming. But then again the grass and barefoot thing may not be such a wise idea around here since we're getting a dog.:ermm:.

Now theres an image for you Sush..........dog poop and bare feet.

I think the worst so far would have to be the slimy hairball I stepped in about a month ago.......now that was gross:sick:

Ok ok..... enough. :sick: All those things stuck between her toes. :sick: ARRRRGGHHH!!!!!! Its like the Sienfeld episode where Kramer makes a salad when hes in the shower.
26.gif

:LOL: oh come on Sush.......live a little..........free those piggies....a little poop and hairball slim never killed anyone :LOL:

When we lived in Jacksonville Florida we took our shoes off when we went in the house. As you know they don't have dirt there..it is sand. Plays havoc on tile floors, ( old time cork tone tile) We were out side so I left my shoes (loafers) on the stoop I guess you would call it. Well.........I came out with our ice tea ans slipped into my shoes...sort of a tight fit.... I pulled my foot out and found a very tiny {{{{{dead}}}}} frog between my toes.

NO more feet with out socks on for me !!!!

Me? I prefer to wear shoes while I'm out... but I used to work very closely with a hippy dude who was barefoot most of the time and, after discussing the issue at length, he gave me an appreciation of bare-footedness. I enjoy being barefoot at home but never out (not because I think it's vulgar or anything - - it's just for protection). I enjoy giving my girlfriend a nice foot massage with lotions or oils.

I certainly do not equate being publicly barefoot with publicly picking one's nose.

I almost wonder if the shoe thing is more about where you live. Most of the folks I know in Canada and the northern states go barefoot, or sock footed in the house. Its considered rude to wear your shoes in someone's house here. But I have visited places in the southern US where folks keep their shoes on outside and in and no one thinks anything of it.

I love going barefoot and do so every chance I get. During the summers I used to work on beaches and on boats so we never wore shoes unless we were going to a store or restaurant.

Feet don't gross me out unless they are not cared for. Trim those nails and keep the feet clean and I am fine with it :)

This is the image I get when I hear the name, The Barefoot Contessa ~ a young girl with long flowing dark hair, dressed in a lacy white dress, running barefoot through the lush, hillside vineyards of an Italian villa. (Forget the toe stuff, Sushi, and think beautiful thoughts!!!)

I watched her biography on Food Network not long ago, and she was a very beautiful young woman. Barefoot Contessa was the name of her restaurant before she bought it, so the name did not originate with her.
I always loved going barefoot, but can't do it anymore because of a nerve problem in my feet.

It was a while ago, so I don’t remember details, but there was a study done about chemical content in the carpet in the houses where people wear shoes versus where people wear sleepers. The houses where people were wearing shoes carpet had a lot more chemicals in it. So after that I never wear shoes in the house, not that I ever did anyway.

I take off shoes every chance I get. Lacy white dresses are another thing, though - more for my past than my present.

some of you Famous Movie Lines people - wasn't there a movie of the same name with Ava Gardner or Rita Hayworth or another of those 40s beauties?

Back
Top Bottom