Sunday Dinner, April 9th?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SierraCook

Master Chef
I bought a bag of tomatillos at the store the other day, so I am going to make chile verde. I want to have Mexican rice with it, but I am cutting back on the carbs, so I think I will have refried beans with cheddar cheese melted over the top and a large tossed green salad.

What's for dinner at your house?

Well I'm all alone for the next couple weeks (and will have someone cooking for me once I decide when I'm hitting Vegas), so I'm keeping it simple until I go out of town.

4/9 menu:

Pringles
Dip (store bought)
Juice

LOL, Poppinfresh - sounds like a solo person's dinner to me!

I am actually cooking today. (Well, the crockpot is doing most of the work.)
Chicken with mushrooms, diced green peppers, tomato paste and large can of squished whole tomatoes, plus one of those packets of slow cooker seasoning (this one's Italian herb mix) Baguettes, salad, and fresh apple cobbler for dessert.

Its really nice and sunny here today, so we are having grilled strip steaks, roasted red potatoes and I'm making a Caesar salad.

Well, rats! HH and daughter just called about half an hour ago, and they are having a late lunch with the lacrosse team at Fuddruckers (good hamburger joint).

They will not be hungry for dinner at the time I planned to serve it.

Were in West Virginia this AM at a store where we could find thickly cut (half an inch) veal liver.

Dab with flour, and saute medium rare.

Nothing is better.

And have converted liver haters with this stuff.

I think the problem with liver is..........oops, that is not this thread. Sorry.

But we will enjoy it.

We had breakfast for lunch - peppered bacon, grits, eggs and toast. I have some leftover casserole we may or may not have for a late supper. I'd rather have a tomato sandwich, though.DH is playing golf until quite late.

I am trying my hand at baby back ribs. This is the first time I have ever cooked ribs so I hope they come out OK.

I am doing them in the oven. I am using my own rub recipe, but Alton Browns braising liquid and technique.

Alton usually has pretty good advice, altho sometimes he makes it things a little more complicated than necessary. You should be fine, though.

Watcha using as a rub?

Here is my rub...

2 parts fresh ground black pepper
2 parts lemon pepper
2 parts cayenne pepper
2 parts chili powder
2 parts dry mustard
2 parts light brown sugar
1 part tsp garlic powder
Pinch of cinnamon
Pinch of salt

That sounds pretty tasty, geebs! Lil' spicy and lil' sweet. I b'lieve you are on to something, but I really cannot believe this is the first time you've done ribs.......

Some day you and mr. Geebs and Miss Rachel must visit Virginia and have ribs or a shoulder with us.

I have so many rib recipes, I could fill a phone book with em. Next time you do some, let me know...I'll dig out a couple for you (depending on whether you want award winning/time consuming or painless).

BTW, Alton's technique in that show was fine--though I could never eat ribs just with the liquid. home made BBQ sauce is the only way to go)

make that mrs geebs...(no disrespect, mrs. g.!) You guys are always welcome here, and probably anywhere you care to travel (right, DC-ers?)

Let us know how your ribs turned out. We need to hear about fallin' off the bone, OK?

You can bet I will let you know how they come out! The house smells great right now so I can't wait.

Poppinfresh, part of Altons technique is to take the braising liquid after the ribs are done and put it in a sauce pan. Then it is reduced to create a BBQ sauce. Personally though I am not a fan of sauces. I like my ribs dry with just the rub.

i want to bake a small egg-spinach custard with parmesan cheese.

Last edited:
GB said:
You can bet I will let you know how they come out! The house smells great right now so I can't wait.

Poppinfresh, part of Altons technique is to take the braising liquid after the ribs are done and put it in a sauce pan. Then it is reduced to create a BBQ sauce. Personally though I am not a fan of sauces. I like my ribs dry with just the rub.

Aye, I saw the episode...but it's not a real barbecue sauce. The argument as to whether the "right" rib BBQ sauce is tomato based or vinegar based aside...those are the only two options--there's no option "C"--braising liquid :P

Back
Top Bottom