The 24 Hour Flu

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bethzaring

Master Chef
I have been reading some threads dealing with food saftey issues, food left out of the frig too long, things like that.

Is the condition, the 24 hour flu, a generally recognized illness?

I am under the impression that a true flu lasts more than a day, and that there is no real 24 hour flu.

What people label as the 24 hour flu, quite probably, is a food borne illness. Depending on the particular organism, the body's response to a food borne germ, bacteria, virus, parasite, or poison, can occur from 2 to 8 hours after the contaminated food is consumed. And by the body's response, I mean its violent attempt to expel the food by the quickest means.:sick:

What are peoples thoughts on food related illnesses? Is my assessment of the 24 hour flu correct?

You are indeed correct. A real, genuine "flu" is more than a 24 hour bug. Influenza is a highly contagious respitory illness, whereas most "24 hour flu bugs" are mild/moderate gastroenteritis caused by germs/bacteria most often from food.

Food poisoning happens so easily yet is fairly preventable if you practice proper food handling and cooking techniques! I've had a few cases of food poisoning and it is not fun! THe only upside to foodborne sickness is that it rarely lasts more than 12-24 hrs.

I think food borne illnesses and the stomach flu make you feel the same. Accordining to my pediatrician (because we have been there so many times in the past three months!) "flu" can mean different things. Influenza is a respitory-type illness. Stomach flu is distress of the tummy, and usually is combined with diarrhea and can last 24 hours up to a week. Unfortunately, we got the week-long version - TWICE!

I do know of several cases of kids with the 24-hour stomach flu - and they did not eat the same thing, they were just around eachother (school and such) - so that indicates to me that it is not food borne but a true stomach flu.

I do think both illnesses make you feel the same way though:( . This is just what I have been told by our doc.

Back
Top Bottom