New Kraut

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GB

Chief Eating Officer
The other day I bought what I thought was Sourkraut. When I ate it though it did not have much of a tang. Upon closer inspection of the lable it seems I bought New Kraut instead of Sour Kraut. I had never heard of New Kraut. I am guessing it just has not been in the pickling liquid as long maybe. Does anyone know what it is?

Speaking of kraut, has anyone tried Bush's Bavarian Style Sauerkraut? My daughter was doing my shopping last week, and couldn't find the Bush's jarred kraut that I always buy, and picked up a couple of cans of the Bavarian Style instead. It's seasoned with a bit of caraway seed, and while it's nice and tangy, it also has a hint of sweetness, posssibly from apple. I love it!

I don't remember who it is made by, but I get a package in the refrigerated section that is really good. We like kraut with sausage, with hot dogs, with pork chops, with spareribs and I like it just as a vegetable.

Me too, Licia...I can eat it out of the jar with a fork. You've got me thinking about it now. I have some leftover pork roast in the fridge, and I think I'll have a slice of that and some kraut for lunch.

GB, I think it is, just as you assumed, fresh sourkraut...
Am I right, it was a bit firmer and more mild?

Thanks Cara. Well the firmness seemed about the same to me, but it has been so long since I have had sauerkraut that I might not be remembering right. It was definitely milder though, that is for sure!

It might be not canned...
Here in G you get canned one and in bags and the bagy taste better because they are not that cooked..
but the best is my moms selfmade sauerkraut.. :D

The only place i can even find new kraut is on a kosher food website. I would assume, like previously stated, that it is just not fermented as long as regular kraut, but i really can't find info on it and now i really want to know.

I remember my mom and a neighbor making sauerkraut when I was a child. It smelled terrible and I couldn't believe something that had smelled so bad could taste so good.

Me too Sizz. I was a little disapointed with this stuff. There was a twang, but it was mild. It wasn't bad stuff at all, but just not as good as the real sauerkraut.

My problem is I can never remember which brand I like and I end up buying the wrong one 1 out of 3 times. I really should write it down. DH did buy some out of a bag once and I didn't care for that. I'd grown up on the kind out of the can and thats what I'm used to I guess.

Ohhhhh that and polish sausage does sound good now. Too bad I already prepared my veggies, early this a.m., for a stir-fry tonight. Oh well there's always tomorrow.

Never heard of that kind before. I don't think its available in my local market. In fact, I've never seen kraut in a jar before around here.

I wonder if that is what I've been getting, without realizing it. I get it because I don't like to think about kraut in a can and feel refrigerated is better whether it is in a jar or a bag. I will have to check when I'm at the grocery next time since I don't have any now.

I don't know. I am not familiar with Silver Floss. I know the Ba-Tempte brand from my grandparents and friends in NY. That is what they always got (kraut and pickles) when we were there so that is what I get now. Brand loyalty at it's best. I will have to look for Silver Floos though and give that a try.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom