Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums

Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/)
-   International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f21/)
-   -   Favorite Mexican meals (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f21/favorite-mexican-meals-21182.html)

rickell 04-10-2006 02:45 PM

Favorite Mexican meals

We love Mexican food and I am looking for new ideas.

We make tacos, enchiladas mostly but again I love
trying new things.

Thanks

BreezyCooking 04-10-2006 03:21 PM

I, too, love them all, & cook Mexican food frequently. Sometimes authentic; sometimes more TexMex; sometimes more commercial.

This week I picked up some blue cornmeal crisp taco shells & am thinking of trying a crockpot chicken taco filling I recently got a recipe for. Please note that I have NOT tried this recipe before, so I'm not providing it as a tried & true recipe.

Crockpot Sour Cream Salsa Chicken
4 skinless boneless chicken breast halves
1 package regular or reduced-sodium taco seasoning mix
1 cup + commercial salsa - you may need more salsa to keep chicken moist

2 tablespoons cornstarch
1/4 cup light sour cream **

Spray the crockpot with cooking spray. Add the chicken
breasts. Sprinkle with taco seasoning. Top with salsa.
Cook on low for 6-8 hours.

When ready to serve, remove the chicken from the pot.
Place about 2 T cornstarch in a small amount of water.
Stir well. Stir the cornstarch mixture into salsa
sauce. Stir in 1/4 cup of sour cream.

**Note: I don't use "light or non-fat" dairy products - feel they have more damaging things added into them than the fat & have lousy taste to boot, so I'll be using regular sour cream.

I'm thinking the above recipe may end up being too salty, so I am already planning to have a carton of low-sodium chicken broth at the ready to thin things out if necessary.

texasgirl 04-10-2006 03:34 PM

You want me to pick a favorite???????? Not possible!!!
I love them all!! LOL

auntdot 04-10-2006 05:03 PM

One of my favorites is mole, chicken, turkey, or pork.

Now there are a lot of mole recipes out there, and they vary from very complex to relatively simple.

Would try the stuff in a restaurant first.

And then hit the web to find one you are happy with.

velochic 04-11-2006 01:26 PM

I'm a big fan of the side dishes. We tend to eat a lot of the same main dishes, but I like to serve different bean, rice, veggie, and cornmeal-based sides. Maybe you can do a search for different sides to switch it up a bit, too.

BreezyCooking 04-11-2006 01:42 PM

Yes - I like the sides too. I particularly like tweaking Mexican-style beans - either regular or refried - with raw or sauteed onion, chopped cilantro, garlic, tomatoes, etc., etc.

In fact, even tho I'm not a big fan of chain restaurants, Chili's makes wonderful side-dish beans. They apparently add some of their freshly-made salsa to the beans, & it really adds a nice tang.

Sugar N' Spice 04-11-2006 01:44 PM

I usually make enchiladas and quesadillas. I love tamales but don't know how to make them so I usually just buy them from someone.

RosCoe 04-11-2006 08:27 PM

Mexican meat markets are multiplying around here. They all sell marinated fajitas, chicken and beef ribs, very thinly sliced. They are awesome cooked over hot coals and they only take a few minutes. We eat them with the usual suspects, pico de gall, salsa verde, flour tortillas, etc

Claire 04-15-2006 06:06 AM

My husband likes me to put out the basics

-- refried beans OR chili OR meat cooked with Mexican spices or fish/shellfish
-- corrn or flour tortillas
-- lots of chopped fresh veggies
-- a variety of salsas
-- if we're feeling decadent, some grated cheese and/or sour cream

I just put them on the table and we make our own tostadas, tacos, burritos. This can be anything from decadent to totally healthy. The leftovers go into a "taco salad" a couple of days later.

BreezyCooking 04-15-2006 08:33 AM

Another favorite that I order out or make at home a lot is Chicken Enchiladas Suizas (sp?). Basically, it's a chicken enchilada (flour tortilla), where the chicken filling is mixed with a green chili/sour cream sauce & grated cheese, & the enchiladas are topped with the same sauce before baking.

There are a number of versions of it around. In fact, Martha Stewart makes one that has a little cooked spinach added to the filling as well that comes out quite good.