Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums

Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/)
-   Beef (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f48/)
-   -   What can I do with Round Steak, Peppers, Mushrooms? (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f48/what-can-i-do-with-round-steak-peppers-mushrooms-21183.html)

Michelemarie 04-10-2006 01:53 PM

What can I do with Round Steak, Peppers, Mushrooms?

I would love your ideas for a good dinner tonight - I have

2 lbs. of round steak
8 oz. of baby bella mushrooms
green peppers

I also have staples like onions, diced or whole canned tomatoes, beef stock, garlic, sherry, brandy, red wine, etc. I am looking for something simple but good - and I know I will find it here. Any ideas?

Alix 04-10-2006 01:56 PM

Screaming fajitas to me Michelemarie.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

sattie 04-10-2006 02:21 PM

Swiss steak?

Michelemarie 04-10-2006 02:40 PM

Thanks for the fajita idea Alix, but I don't have any tortillas:sad: . Swiss steak sounds good. My mom used to make it by browning the meat, adding peppers and onions and a little beef broth, I wanted to bring it up a notch though - maybe with the shrooms and tomatoes - and what kind of sauce? Any ideas?

Alix 04-10-2006 02:48 PM

Hmmmm...maybe cube the meat and brown it with some onions. Then use some beef broth and red wine to deglaze...add the 'shrooms and peppers. Maybe a tbsp of tomato paste in there somewhere? Can of consomme? Some pepper flakes? I'd serve it over rice. Sounds pretty tasty to me.

Michelemarie 04-10-2006 02:52 PM

Alix, sounds like dinner to me. Now a few questions - After browning the meat, how much liquid do I add to deglaze? After that, how long do I let it cooK? Doesn't round steak need a couple of hours? I don't have tomato paste but do have consomme and red pepper flakes. How thick should the sauce be? Over rice, you betcha!

Alix 04-10-2006 02:59 PM

To deglaze you don't need much, but if you are going to cook the meat in the sauce you should have a couple cups or so. The consomme will do the trick I think. The tomato paste would have helped to thicken the sauce a bit so maybe just before you serve it you could thicken it a bit with cornstarch? I would. (about 1 tbsp in 1/2 cup of water then add to the sauce) The tomato paste would also help to tenderize the meat a bit. Do you have any tomato anything? Leftover spaghetti sauce?

amber 04-10-2006 03:01 PM

I made a beef braciolle yesterday using round steak and cooked it in tomatoe sauce for three hours, but I think two hours minimum would be good. To deglaze it should only take 1 cup or so, but to cook the round steak til it falls apart will take more liquid and keep a lid on it, and simmer on medium low.

Woops, posted around the same time as Alix, but I see we agree on the deglaze and more liquid to cook the beef.

Michelemarie 04-10-2006 03:04 PM

Alix, I DO have tomato paste! Yippee!

So brown the meat (should I coat in flour first?)
Deglaze with a couple cups liquid - ya think 1 cup red wine and 1 cup consomme?
Add shrooms and peppers
Cover? cook for how long? when do I add paste?

Wish you could come over and we could do this together - it would be fun! Thanks so much for your help!

Michelemarie 04-10-2006 03:12 PM

Amber - hi! Thanks for the input! You cooked your braciolle for three hours - but you think two would be okay. I think I will have about 2 hours-I'm hungry - want to eat early!