Salt Crusted Leg of Lamb

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

alh-denver

Assistant Cook
The Denver Post this week ran a recipe for Salt Crusted Leg of Lamb.

Here is an excerpt:

Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Mix salt, egg whites and enough water to make a pastelike consistency. Place lamb in a roasting pan and cover completely with salt crust mixture, cook 1 to 1 1/2 hours or until a thermometer reads 120 degrees. Let rest for 30 minutes while it continues to cook in the crust.​
This is for a 6-8 pound leg, but they say to cook it for about an hour at 300 degrees.​

This can't be right. I am tempted to try 400 degrees for about an hour.​

Does anyone have any suggestions?​

alh-denver said:
The Denver Post this week ran a recipe for Salt Crusted Leg of Lamb.

Here is an excerpt:

Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Mix salt, egg whites and enough water to make a pastelike consistency. Place lamb in a roasting pan and cover completely with salt crust mixture, cook 1 to 1 1/2 hours or until a thermometer reads 120 degrees. Let rest for 30 minutes while it continues to cook in the crust.​
This is for a 6-8 pound leg, but they say to cook it for about an hour at 300 degrees.​

This can't be right. I am tempted to try 400 degrees for about an hour.​

Does anyone have any suggestions?​

That looks right to me. Would not want to cook it at too high of a speed for such a short period of time.

The salt crust is going to enable the food to retain the heat during the cooking process which shortens the cooking time. It also helps to keep the moisture and juices within the food.

Because all ovens vary in real temperature, you'll want to check the internal temp of the lamb after the first hour and then keep on cooking it while checking every 5-7 minutes or so until the desired doneness is achieved.

Back
Top Bottom