Easter traditions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

corazon

Executive Chef
Native New Mexican, now live in Bellingham, WA
This is the first year we will be "doing" Easter. Dying & hiding eggs, Easter bunny, Easter basket & feast. Aidan is so young, I think he'll have a hard time finding all the eggs. Instead of us telling him where to look, I thought I'd make it like a treasure hunt. I'll put the first egg in an obvious place with a little note that will lead him somewhere else, and the last clue will lead to his basket. I'll probably do it every year as a fun tradition, making it a challenge as the boys get older.

What traditions do you follow on this coming holiday? :bunny: :bunny:

My Great Aunt Camille, rest her soul, was my favorite relative (& holiday drinking buddy - lol).

Every Easter she'd buy Marshmallow Peeps, as Easter decorations. No one in the family could stand to eat them - too sweet - but we did get a kick out of deforming their little faces into duck bills, etc. I know, I know - sick family.

Anyway, every single Easter since she passed away back in 1995 I buy a package of Peeps & keep them, unopened, in my bread drawer until the next Easter, when I toss out the old & put in the new package. I know this sounds absolutely senseless, but somehow I feel she's still around when I do it.

The only other tradition I have is to make Deviled Eggs for myself, whether or not I color eggs or not. Husband doesn't eat them, but they make a nice couple of lunches/snacks for me.

that sounds like fun cora.
we are going to dye eggs for display (which eventually become devilled eggs or parrot food), and dw bought plastic eggs, so we are going to put something in them and hide them around the yard. haven't figured out what to put in them yet. my boy doesn't really like candy, and toys that small are too dangerous. he loves putting coins in his piggy bank, so i was thinking of using a bunch of silver half dollars, which are large enough. not sure yet.

i was thinking of some kind of food treat, but dw doubt's he'll eat much of anything that way. so i told her not to feed him today... then he'll appreciate easter. :)

Last edited:
Oh... I miss the fun of little kids at Easter.
I haven't dyed eggs in quite a few years. Maybe... I'll do a dozen just for fun tonight.

Our big Easter celebration will be next weekend in Salem. Greekster is the biggest holiday of the year for us.

Growing up, we always had an Easter egg hunt at my grandmother's. She made a huge dinner with the help of all her daughters, daughters in law and grandchildren who were old enough to help. While we were doing all that, some of the uncles would keep the grandsons and small children occupied with games so granddaddy and some uncles could hide the eggs. There were always prize eggs worth a dollar and some worth candy, etc. The nicest surprise was when an uncle and aunt passed out stuffed animals to all the grandchildren, even to me as the second oldest. We haven't had anything like that since my grandmother passed away.

You all are My Family! Just wanted you all to Know I Think Of You and Pray for You Each and Everyday ! Hugs and Love, and May The Sun shine Bright on you today. James :cool:
And Have a "MAIDRITE DAY "

Dove, I hope you are able to have some part of your day rain-free. Wish you could send us some rain. We are very dry and with little humidity at the moment, the chances of a fire are great. Even, f it is raining, hope your day is a great one.

We are supposed to have rain with large hail today, but they have said that all week, so we'll see.

We always color eggs, a treat my toddler missed this year (did it after bedtime). We usually leave carrots and milk out for the Easter Bunny and then the Bunny usually leaves a note of thanks on the table.

I always fill baskets for the kids, each one using the "special" basket nana bought for them on their first easter. I fill with candy, but mostly with fun stuff that is age appropriate - my toddler, a simple puzzle, farm animals that sound their noise, a shape sorter. For my teen, hair clips, a dvd, a tshirt, etc. We usually attend church (the baby has added complications to this step the last two years, but we will get back into it).

When at my house, I usually fill a zillion eggs with candy and money - usually a couple "golden" ones with a larger bill. I also fill baskets for my godchildren too - and their siblings. So I sent two off to Michigan and two will be here (can't give one a basket and not the other).

Another huge tradition for me personally is that I always make a special basket for my mom. This started when I was in high school. She would always give us a basket, including dad. She never got anything. One Easter morning I got up early, saw all the wonderful things she stayed up doing for us, and dragged my butt to the store and pieced together a basekt. Every year I look forward to making it just right for her - lucky duck - this year she got a pair of shoes she has been wanting! Anyways, I am so excited every year to give it to her!

Sorry for blabbing, can you tell I'm excited! Happy Easter!

my Mom used to do something we adored. she'd leave little letters
around with notes on them that led from one to another that got us to our baskets, & we'd read her notes till we got to our baskets. we LOVED those. once they were by our washer, tee-hee. gotta love that Mom.:)

One of the things I always found as funny is that I was grown before I ever knew that the "easter bunny" was supposed to bring stuff. LOL! When I was a kid I just thought the easter bunny was a marketing icon.

Our big Easter tradition was to dye eggs. When we were kids we would hide them and hunt them... then eat them, but this year we didn't even boil any. I kinda miss the smell of Vinegar. :)

~ Raven ~

We always dyed eggs the night before. Went to mass Sunday morning and hand an egg hunt when we got home. The breakfast was bacon and boiled eggs, and there were devilled eggs and egg salad sandwiches all week. Dad would put glitter on one egg, and whoever found it got a dollar. We all got new clothes for the occaision (we were four girls) to inlcude pristine white mary janes and anklets and a new hat, so it was a big day for a family photo (honors done by a neighbor). We lived a lot of places, so the weather would be very erratic and sometimes the egg hunts were indoors. When we lived in apartment blocks in Germany, often the neighbors would come out and join the festivities. Dinner was always a big ham. When I lived near my family we continued with the traditions, but the egg hunt became a bit of a problem. One sister asked if we could put off the hunt until her in-laws could get there. It was Florida, it was already 90 degrees, and the eggs were already hidden. Needless to say it was have the hunt in the morning or have rotten eggs. I think now they probably gave in to the inevetible and instead of real eggs fill plastic ones with candy. And we wonder why we have a childhood obesity problem!

The day was usually topped off by Daddy pulling out the accordion for a song and dance fest.

Back
Top Bottom