Dinner on Saturday the 15th

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alix

Everymom
Moderator Emeritus
We are thinking it will likely be Chinese food tonight. Mom invited us over for dinner and I was hoping that is what she would serve. Think it will be. WOOHOO!

I changed mine.
We're still having shrimp, a little coconut and the rest boiled.
cole slaw, some regular and a little hawaiian type.
zucchini bread.
butterscotch pie???

Last edited:
We're celebrating Jimmy's Tuesday birthday tonight because all the kids are home.I'm making shrimp scampi with fettuccine,sauteed broccolini with pignolis and grape tomatoes, garlic bread and as requested a coconut angel food cake!

LMAO! Whew! Thought maybe there was a way to make coleslaw I'd never heard of! Thanks tg! Your dinner sounds fab btw.

we're decorating eggs tonight, so i hope i'll have time to fire up the grill. i have split chicken breasts and turkey meat that has to be made.

this should be interesting. i wonder how much dye is going to get on the eggs?

buckytom said:
we're decorating eggs tonight, so i hope i'll have time to fire up the grill. i have split chicken breasts and turkey meat that has to be made.

this should be interesting. i wonder how much dye is going to get on the eggs?

You have GOT to take pictures!! I miss that part. Mine are too old to color and seek eggs.

I dont know what to call it other than spicy beef. I will cut the top round into cubes, then marinade it all day in a homemade salsa (tomatoes, garlic, jalapeon, onion, cilantro, lime), and then broil it on kebob sticks, and have some rice and a veggie with it.

I tried something different. My dd, sil, gd and gs are coming out tomorrow for dinner. I wanted to have plastic eggs to hide, but couldn't find any yesterday or today so I cooked my eggs in 3 different pots, a different color in each one. They look good, so I think I've saved myself a step and possibly a mess with the coloring.

no birthday - just one of daughter's many social events (we have the cool bar of the parents in the crowd). HH will be manning said cool bar to make sure the boys don't tear up the basement too badly.

I was planning on corned beef, but it is way too nice to not be outside cooking on the grill. We took a ride today and passed my favorite fish store and fruit and veggie stand. I got some great looking tuna and also some zucchini and squash and a little pices of ginger. The veggies are marinating in ponzu, fish sauce, oyster sauce, olive oil, and sesame oil. I will grill those off and then do the fish real quick. Not sure what the fish will be marinated in yet, but ginger will be on of the ingredients.

Licia, have you ever tried dying eggs in beet juice?

I hadn't been out for a couple of weeks, so Kim took me out for lunch today. We skipped the new Appleby's, and went to our favorite little country restaurant. I had farm-raised bluegill, very lightly coated and fried just until golden. Although I always prefer bone-in fish, they were lovely. It came with 3 sides plus a homemade roll, so I had french fries, fried corn nuggets, and cole slaw.
Kim had a smoked pork steak (they do their own) that was so tender he could cut it with a fork, and the homemade BBQ sauce that went with was excellent. He had fries and a double order of onion rings with his, and the onion rings were really good too...very lightly coated, not fried too hard, and yet the onion inside was cooked. I almost wonder if they didn't parboil the onions a bit before they breaded them.

The meal was $20 plus $3 tip. What a bargain!

Tonight, we're having sandwiches from the pork loin roast I cooked yesterday.

Last edited:
No, that would have been a very good idea, though. I hadn't planned to have real eggs for hiding since the temp is supposed to be 90 deg. tomorrow, but since I didn't find plastic, we will use the real ones and we will either find them shortly or toss them in the trash. I like using natural ingredients for coloring the eggs, but even my onions didn't have enough color. Next year I will have to do better planning beforehand.

It's a tradition here that the night before any holiday where I'll be cooking a big meal is automatically "take-out night" - usually either pizza or Chinese. It's just nice not to have any pots & pans to deal with, & I can relax & start with a clean kitchen for the holiday meal.

Tonight it's a mushroom pizza, & husband has already left to pick it up.

we spent the day putting in a new front dorr so it's sandwidhes tonight! too much cooking to do for tomorrow anyway!

Back
Top Bottom