Why can't you eat raw mushrooms ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

knorrepoes

Assistant Cook
I have often heard, and also the Dutch Nutrition Council (I am Dutch) states that raw mushrooms are toxic. Is this true ???? And so, why ??

Knorrepoes

I've eaten raw mushrooms and so has my Dutch husband. Some people do have a reaction to cooked or raw mushrooms but not everyone.

have always ate raw mushrooms...same with my kids......unless we arent really here????

Does it state what type of mushroom? Maybe that matters....

can't I??
I always do - and I think as long as they're not toxic it should be okay...
btw... poisonous mushrooms are still bad when cooked...

Type of mushroom is very important. Just google and you will find out more than you ever wanted to know about mushrooms.

The common white button mushrooms are perfectly fine to eat raw. I frequently use them on crudite platters with dip, & they are absolutely necessary to a great spinach salad. The tiny stem-like Japanese Enoki mushrooms are also normally eaten raw in Japanese cuisine.

This is not true of other varieties however. Some like shitake, cremini, & the older cremini known as Portobellos, aren't toxic, but are strong-tasting & can be difficult to digest when consumed raw.

Other more exotic types can be toxic or at the very least cause digestive upset.

You just have to know exactly what mushroom you have before deciding whether or not to cook it.

i agree with everyone who said they're ok, so long as they're not the poisonous variety.
if you eat a lot, it'll make you a fungi to be with...

It sounds like a bit of an exaggeration to me. My Family name is now Morin (more'-ä) which is French, but my mothers maiden name was Van Vliet. Does that qualify me as Dutch? I have always associated myself with Dutch, even though my ancestors came from New Amsterdam. The used to live near a large maple tree just off Manhattan :LOL:

Anyway, someone who has candida, which is an imbalanced immune system, where bacteria (which are mushrooms) of a sort that, if in too large numbers, will imbalance the digestive system and start to take over the body. Under normal conditions, when these bacteria are in proper balance the are not a stress to the body. Au contraire, (just the opposite) they are, at that balanced point, very beneficial to the body.

Now If you have candida, it is not advisable to eat mushrooms (non-poisonous variety as the poisonous variety is never advisable to eat, unless you have a death wish or have special powers – I would not advise it at any rate), I would not advice you to eat mushrooms while suffering from candida at any rate.
What do I mean by mushrooms? In the case of a candida sufferer, many, but not all fermented foods are advisable to avoid while afflicted with candida, and other, oddly enough are greatly encouraged:

Discouraged: Tempeh, miso, bread (yeasted), even too much starch.

Encouraged: I might add that in most cases, it is more important to inundate your system with good or friendly bacteria to ride yourself of candida that to completely eliminate the “Discouraged” bacteria mentioned above, unless the problem is chronic or beyond. Yoghurt (especially the type with bifidus, as well as the regular stains of acidophilus). This is a bit of a run down. If you want more information on the subject you might want to visit:

Flora: Where you can get information, as well as buy product I believe.

Udo Erasmus Web site: He has a great line of Probiotics. Friendly Bacteria for people who need it. (Disclaimer: I have no professional affiliation with either of these companies - I'm clean - Bri

Ok, that's it! I'm going outside. It's the most beautiful day we've had this your. - Bri :chef:

My Family name is now Morin (more'-ä) which is French, but my mothers maiden name was Van Vliet. Does that qualify me as Dutch? I have always associated myself with Dutch, even though my ancestors came from New Amsterdam. The used to live near a large maple tree just off Manhattan :LOL:

Hey Bri, some of my ancestors settled in New Amsterdam, after the King of England revoked the Edict of Nantes. Apparently it was not a good time to be a protestant in France.......

Last edited:
Candida is not an imbalanced immune system. It is a kind of yeast and is a disease form basically. In babies it is called "thrush" and the child gets a whitish overgrowth in their mouth. That is why you cut down on things that contain yeast. Mushrooms are not "bacteria". They are fungi. A balance of intestinal flora of bacteria is indeed beneficial. Often when taking a lot of antibiotics this is wiped out also and must be replaced artificially.
Button mushrooms are quite edible--used to make a raw mushroom salad with a vinaigrette dressing.

knorrepoes said:
I have often heard, and also the Dutch Nutrition Council (I am Dutch) states that raw mushrooms are toxic. Is this true ???? And so, why ??

Knorrepoes

Welcome to DC, Knorrepoes.

Never had a problem with raw shrooms purchased in the supermarket in the U.S. I brush 'em/clean 'em off. If you'e picking wild mushrooms, I might be concerned.

Any mushroom that is edible, is something you can eat raw. I like them in salads or marinated raw, but also love them cooked in recipes that are appropriate.

Casper

Casper - that may be true for the various types of cultivated varieties that show up in the supermarkets these days, but it's definitely not true for edbile wild mushrooms. There are quite a few that, while they might not kill you if eaten raw, can make you quite sick if not cooked first.

I know morels aren't any good raw...just a taste thing, I think. But I eat raw buttons on crudite trays or marinated in Italian dressing for salads. Sometimes, I marinate canned artichoke hearts along with the shrooms, and serve the salad with sliced black olives, grape tomatoes, julienned salami, and grated parmesan cheese. That's a good salad!

Breezy - Your knowledge is exactly why I am here... Please educate me on poisonious mushrooms (or un-healthly) that are this way when un-cooked.

Casper

PS... You also are on the (my list) list of good people that contiribute regularly. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom