My Oven Died

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AllenOK

Executive Chef
Yesterday I started a batch of beef stock. I turned the oven on to preheat, so I could roast the bones and mirepoix. After 15 minutes, I opened the oven, and it was stone COLD! Darn thing broke on us within the past two days. Great, that's going to complicate things.

This electric oven is old, I'd say from the 40's or 50's. I'm not even sure if it can be fixed. I'd rather have it fixed than get another one, as the oven has some HUGE pot/pan storage capacity, and all my other cabinets are stuffed.

If I have to replace it, we have a gas oven that we can use, but I'd have to have a gas line run into the kitchen from the hot water heater.

Sorry to hear that Allen. Do you have a place around there that works on them? Hopefully things will work out for you. Keep us posted.

Bummer, Allen! I had one of those old ovens with the storeage shelves I loved to put my pots 'n pans in, in my old duplex... but it was gas. There's lots of used refrigerator/appliance stores around where you can pick one up cheap, but don't know if they come with a warrantee/guarantee. One fellow I knew, used his old stove as a planter - no kidding! Plants were coming out of the burners & oven. He also had a few old barber chairs & barber pole on the patio - but I digress :LOL: Since it's from the 40's or 50's, I'd want to hold on to it. Hope you can get it fixed. Don't see many of those around any more :)

Edited to add: Wonder what you might get for it at an auction.

Last edited:
mudbug said:
oh that stinks, Allen. I second mish - keep that puppy as it's probably a collector's item. Hope you can get it fixed.

Time for a lawn ornament!!!

img_259955_0_6018b8e190cb9495aaa8b05d020164c0.gif

AllenMI said:
Yesterday I started a batch of beef stock. I turned the oven on to preheat, so I could roast the bones and mirepoix. After 15 minutes, I opened the oven, and it was stone COLD! Darn thing broke on us within the past two days. Great, that's going to complicate things.

This electric oven is old, I'd say from the 40's or 50's. I'm not even sure if it can be fixed. I'd rather have it fixed than get another one, as the oven has some HUGE pot/pan storage capacity, and all my other cabinets are stuffed.

If I have to replace it, we have a gas oven that we can use, but I'd have to have a gas line run into the kitchen from the hot water heater.

Allen, sounds to me like you need a new heating element. My husband is here, and he suggests you google your stove type/ repair parts, and see what you can find. Or look on Ebay. If it is, in fact, the heating element, all you have to do is unplug the old one and plug in the new one.
He says most of those parts are universal and interchangeable.
Those old stoves are wonderful. If you can get it fixed, it's worth doing.

I second the notion to keep that old stove too. At least you can have a gas back up stove if need be. I guess its microwave oven for now? Or take out?

It's just the oven that's dead. The burners on the stovetop work. So it's not a total loss. I'll have to look around. Money's kind of tight right now. My desktop pc suffered a Hard Drive crash a couple weeks ago, and I'm working on getting that fixed. Luckily for me, I was able to get 95 - 99% of my data transferred to my new laptop when I bought it.

Allen, I have a friend who is an appliance repairman. If you'll tell me the model and make of the stove, I'll see what he can find out about it.

Hope your oven is repaired soon. I had some very wise things to post, but hit something and knocked them to halifax.

Back
Top Bottom