How do I put a quote inside of another quote?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gary b

Cook
When posting replies, sometimes it would be more understandable if I could put one quote inside of another. Can/how do I do this????
Gary

Gary, do you mean nesting quotes something like this:

red powder said:
What is paprika?
black pepper said:
Pepper is pepper - just look for any red pepper.

OR ...

red powder said:
What is paprika?
black pepper said:
Pepper is pepper - just look for any red pepper.
I don't have any and don't want to have to buy any.

Last edited:
If you want to quote a certain person, all you have to do is click the quote button on the bottom right of their post. As for a quote inside a quote, I don't know that one either. Maybe someone else will answer that one.

Sunflower said:
I want to know how to do the one that you have on your message that says - "Tenneva Jordan once said:"

How did you add that? Is it called a signature?

yes, it's a signature. Just go and click on user cp up on the blue ribbon at the top of this page. At the left, click on edit signature. Type in what you want it to say and hit save. That's it:)

quotes within quotes

texasgirl -

you need to understand a little about vB code, which is what this forum uses.

Here is an example of a quote within a quote.
texasgirl said:
If you want to quote a certain person, all you have to do is click the quote button on the bottom right of their post. As for a quote inside a quote, I don't know that one either. Maybe someone else will answer that one.
Sunflower said:
I want to know how to do the one that you have on your message...
Here's some more stuff from texasgirl

and here is the vB code that makes it look that way (what you would see in the reply box before you posted it.)

[QUOTE=texasgirl]If you want to quote a certain person, all you have to do is click the quote button on the bottom right of their post. As for a quote inside a quote, I don't know that one either. Maybe someone else will answer that one.[QUOTE=Sunflower]I want to know how to do the one that you have on your message...[/QUOTE]Here's some more stuff from texasgirl[/QUOTE]

Notice the [QUOTE=texasgirl] in the beginning - that starts the texasgirl quote .

Notice the [QUOTE=Sunflower] - that starts the 2nd Sunflower quote, nested inside the texasgirl quote.

Notice the [/QUOTE]Here's some more stuff from texasgirl[/QUOTE] at the end.

> The first [/QUOTE] ends the quote from Sunflower

> The text Here's some more stuff from texasgirl is continued as part of the texasgirl quote

> The last [/QUOTE] ends the quote from texasgirl
does this help :ermm: - or just make you more confused? :ohmy: :huh:

Hi TG,

I will use "{ and }" instead of "[ and ]" so you can see what I am doing.

You just put one of your {/quote} in the wrong place.

This is what you have:
{quote=texasgirl} hello{/quote}{quote=texasgirl}testing testing{/quote}

Try it like this instead:
{quote=texasgirl} hello{quote=texasgirl}testing testing{/quote}{/quote}
(just place the { with [
and
} with ]

GB said:
Hi TG,

I will use "{ and }" instead of "[ and ]" so you can see what I am doing.

You just put one of your {/quote} in the wrong place.

This is what you have:
{quote=texasgirl} hello{/quote}{quote=texasgirl}testing testing{/quote}

Try it like this instead:
{quote=texasgirl} hello{quote=texasgirl}testing testing{/quote}{/quote}
(just place the { with [
and
} with ]
{quote=texasgirl} hello{quote=texasgirl}testing testing{/quote}

GB & others,

What is the best/quickest way to get the CONTENT I want to put in the quotes, just copy and paste? Can I get "content" to quote from OTHER threads and/or websites?? Thanks, gary

texasgirl said:
So, is it the quote, quote together that does it at the beginning and the end?
It is the quote quote at he beginning, but also the /quote /quote at the end. You need both for it to work.

The way the coding works is that you have an opening code and a closing code. Anything between those two codes will be affected. You need them both or they will not work. the closing code is always the same as the opening code except it has a / at the beginning of the code.

Back
Top Bottom