What is the best apple for pie?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Angie

Head Chef
I love apple pie, and have made some pretty good ones. I got some apples free from a neighbor once but have no clue what kind they were other than being green.

What is the "best" apple for pie? I'm itching to make some and I hate canned filling!

I like my apple pies a little tart so I go for Granny Smiths or Cortlands or a combination of the two.

It's really a matter of opinion. Everyone has their favs.

Thanks Andy. I'm thinking they were Granny Smiths...This neighbor worked in a warehouse and the apples got hit by frost or something, and couldn't be sold in the grocery. He got a bunch for free and gave us some. I peeled them, cut them up, and froze them in a sugar solution. Made pies and have wanted to make more ever since!

Whenever I am cooking something (dessert or not) and I'm using apples I always reach for the slightly tart Granny Smiths. The only exception to this might be when I'm making a salad with apple in it, then I might go for something a little sweeter.

hi all, nothing really constructive to add to the thread. just stopped by to drool. grannies are great, and best for pies in my book. here in japan, pickin's are slim. only a couple of decent kinds which are only in-season for a few months. they refuse to import apples (from new zealand for example) so for the better part of the year you have to make do with mealy, 6-8 month old apples. not only that, but they can cost better than $2 per each. i almost wish i hadn't seen this thread, 'cause now i want a good apple. boo hoo

Here are a couple of useful links: http://www.bctree.com/fruit/varieties/variety_usage_chart.htm

http://www.bctree.com/fruit/index.htm

The first link is a chart that shows the usage for each variety of listed apples. The 2nd link is an image map of all sorts of apples; click on one of them to get info on it's variety.

I love apples!

As for the best apples for pie, I like the sweet Jonogold type. I dont really like using tart apples for my pie (even though lots of people do) Honeycrisp makes excellent pies as well.

I tend to use an old English 'cooking' variety of apple (in other words, too sour to eat without cooking!) called Bramley. That is an ideal apple for say, apple sauce for a roast pork sunday roast. It goes beautifully smooth like a thick paste (no lumps) when simmered with a little water and sugar. I then add the tarter, Granny Smiths to the cooked and cooled bramley apple mix.

philso said:
i almost wish i hadn't seen this thread, 'cause now i want a good apple. boo hoo

Philso, you can make a delicious apple pie with dried apples. That's what my grandmother did when apples were out of season.
I don't have her recipe...she probably didn't use one. But here is one that looks delicious.
http://www.recipesource.com/baked-goods/desserts/pies/dried-apples01.html

For years I used Jonathon apples for pies, but now that Granny Smith apples are easily available, that's what I use.

Also a perfectly good yummy apple can be made to taste just so so if the crust is tough. I may not be a real cook, but I am picky about a crust. If it isn't flaky, it isn't passing my lips. :) I typically cheat and use a crumb top because it is easier than flinging the crust on top and it never gets tough.....well unless it burns.

Here, in the states i have been using Granny Smith, but back in Russia there was, though, simular, but much better apple called Antonovka, unfortunatelly it is not available here. That apple was like a dream for an apple pie.

I'm a Granny Smith lover too. They have the right consistency and tartness for a wonderful pie.

Charlie, what is this Antonovka apple like?

saltanat.jpg
SALTANAT Izaudzēta Kazahijā no brīvi apputeksnētas `Vidzemes Zelta renetes` sēklas. Koki vidēja vai spēcīga auguma, platiem zaru atiešanas leņķiem, tumši zaļu lapojumu. To ziemcietība laba. Izturība pret kraupi vidēja vai samērā laba, pret puvēm augsta. Augļi skaisti, palieli, plakani ieapaļi, izlīdzināti gan lielumā, gan formā. Pamatkrāsa zaļgandzeltena. Oranži sarkanā virskrāsa klāj lielāko daļu augļu virsmas. Bieži sastopamas aprūsinātas kārpiņas. Augļu mīkstums krēmkrāsā, ar parupju struktūru, sulīgs, patīkamu garšu. Sevišķi kvalitatīvi augļi iegūstami audzējot uz pundurpotcelmiem. Glabājas līdz decembrim, janvārim. . Piemērotspotcelms B491

I found this, but need translation. Charlie can you help?

Oh no, not me, that is either check, or polish or ... well I just do not know.

As far as Antonovka, it is somewhat similar to Granny Smith, but much more versatile.

Best Apples

Hi Angie:

this is bigjim, I live here in Fresno ca. This where all the fruits and vegetables
come from. I know you live Iowa, have you ever heard or had a Fuji apple.
I do alot of baking and canning, I won`t use any other varitety of apple other
than a fugi. I might be predjuice, I have a classmate from highschool that
grows them, and he gives me all the ones that are to big to pack and ship.
I can use the fuji apple in any way that a apple can be used. My son Jesse
will take a qt. jar of my applesauce, pour it in a bowl,and top it with some
butter then microwave that until its hot, he will finish that whole qt. fuji
apples are that good. talk to you later. take care and God bless.........

Constance said:
Philso, you can make a delicious apple pie with dried apples. That's what my grandmother did when apples were out of season.
I don't have her recipe...she probably didn't use one. But here is one that looks delicious.
http://www.recipesource.com/baked-goods/desserts/pies/dried-apples01.html

For years I used Jonathon apples for pies, but now that Granny Smith apples are easily available, that's what I use.

thanks constance - jonagorudo's, which i guess might be jonathan golds, are one of the few good apples available here, and what i usually use. another apple i like is only available for about 2 months or so, called tsugaru. it's nice and tart, but unfortunately not so crispy. fuji apples are also ok, but not as tart as i prefer.

maybe it's for the best that good apples aren't available all year long. otherwise i'd be going through a pie a week and be in the hospital with a heart condition
icon12.gif

Back
Top Bottom