Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums

Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/)
-   Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f15/)
-   -   That white thing in chicken! (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f15/that-white-thing-in-chicken-21854.html)

Angie 04-30-2006 05:08 PM

That white thing in chicken!

What in the heck is that white thing in chicken breasts? When raw, it looks like a white straw. When it's cooked, it's like gristle. I hate it!

kadesma 04-30-2006 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angie
What in the heck is that white thing in chicken breasts? When raw, it looks like a white straw. When it's cooked, it's like gristle. I hate it!

Most likely a tendon, I just cut it out before cooking,it just makes a impossible to chew bite:lol:

kadesma

Angie 04-30-2006 05:47 PM

That could be it...no matter where I get the dang chicken from (meat counter, pre packaged, bonless breasts, bonless tenders), they still have that ugly white thing that is stronger than an ox!

licia 04-30-2006 05:58 PM

I take the tendon and hold it with a knife and paper towel and pull it off. It usually comes right off cleanly - no cutting, etc. I hate them too.

SizzlininIN 04-30-2006 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by licia
I take the tendon and hold it with a knife and paper towel and pull it off. It usually comes right off cleanly - no cutting, etc. I hate them too.

Same here Licia. My question is whats that slimmy clear white stuff thats sometimes between the meat and the skin. It looks like egg whites?

kadesma 04-30-2006 06:31 PM

I hate touching the darn thing so I use some wire snippers and cut the thing out. It makes me gag. YUKKO

kadesma:lol:

Angie 04-30-2006 06:37 PM

I don't know why they don't just cut it out for ya, especially when you get it at a meat counter, not prepackaged!

Constance 04-30-2006 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SizzlininIN
Same here Licia. My question is whats that slimmy clear white stuff thats sometimes between the meat and the skin. It looks like egg whites?

That's silverskin, Sizzlin...It's just connective tissue between the muscles. In larger animals, you need to remove it, as it's impossible to chew, but that's not a problem with poultry.
If the white thing you are talking about is where I think it is, that's just a tougher piece of connective tissue. I usually cut it off too.
There is a white, plastic-looking piece of gristle between the two breasts, which is easy to pull out, but you wouldn't be seeing that in boneless chicken breasts.

SizzlininIN 04-30-2006 06:46 PM

? Silverskin ? Now I've seen that on beef and pork. But on chicken? This looks just like egg whites not like that connective tissue you find on beef and pork that you slice off.

Angie 04-30-2006 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Constance
That's silverskin, Sizzlin...It's just connective tissue between the muscles. In larger animals, you need to remove it, as it's impossible to chew, but that's not a problem with poultry.
If the white thing you are talking about is where I think it is, that's just a tougher piece of connective tissue. I usually cut it off too.
There is a white, plastic-looking piece of gristle between the two breasts, which is easy to pull out, but you wouldn't be seeing that in boneless chicken breasts.

I know what you are talking about, that plastic looking piece. I hated that piece as a kid. The one I'm talking about looks like a straw! :lol: