How do I make pink lemonade?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shaheen

Senior Cook
I had pink lemonade when I was in the US. How can I make one at home? Please give me a non-alcoholic recipe. Thanks :)

Well, it is very simple, you take Pink lemons ...
okay i'm just kidding. :) To be honest with you I'm not sure. Here they sell powder, you just add watter. But in reality it is regular lemonade just add some pink food color, I assume. Maybe some body else will corect me.

Shaheen said:
I had pink lemonade when I was in the US. How can I make one at home? Please give me a non-alcoholic recipe. Thanks :)

Pink Lemonade
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 9 cups water
  • 2 cups lemon juice
  • 1 cup cranberry juice
PREPARATION:
Mix everything in a pitcher and stir until dissolved. Serve lemonade over ice.

I'm more than happy to correct you. REAL "Pink Lemonade" is made by adding pomegranite syrup (aka Gireaux syrup) to regular lemonade. Food coloring??? Cranberry juice??? A joke & ot even close to the true original, (& frankly - yuck. Don't even suggest it).

Back in the days of my youth, an elderly neighborhood woman held a huge July 4th party, & every year a different child got the honor of helping her prepare the food, the best of which was making the pitchers & pitchers of pink lemonade.

While we squeezed dozens & dozens of lemons, she carefully measured out the pomegranate syrup in just the right proportions.

"Gireaux Syrup" was advertised back then on all the kiddie TV shows, especially "Sonny Fox" & another childrens icon who's name escapes me at the moment. It was supposed to be great mixed with milk, although lemonade was all we used it for.

Wow, you learn something new every day. Thanks Debbie, I didn't know that the addition of the cranberry juice was what made it pink.

Tip: To make sure the sugar dissolves completely, heat up the water and add the sugar. Let cool and then add the juice.

Cranberry juice "isn't" what makes or made "pink" lemonade pink. It was old-fashioned Gireaux syrup, which was & still is made from pomegranites.

These days the true syrup is pricier than cranberry juice, thus the cheaper recipes that continue to crop up. But adding cranberry juice is NOT the true pink lemonade recipe of old..

Breezy Cooking, could you add pure pomegranite juice and get similar results as the Gireaux?

What about trying something different? Try using red grapefruit, their juice has a great pink colour and delicious tart flavour.

I don't know where you get your pink lemonade, but where I get mine, they make it pink with a touch of grape juice.

Apologies to Mr. LaGasse
rofl2.gif

Never made a home-made version. I always bought the frozen concentrate stuff.

I didn't know either, so I looked it up. Pomegranite syrup, cranberry juice, strawberries and raspberries were all mentioned.
I would imagine the pomegranite syrup was the first thing used. I'll bet strawberreies or raspberries would be downright heavenly!
Don't care for cranberry juice, sorry.

Yes, that's true. Foreign variations of pink lemonade were made using sumac berries. The berries of certain sumac species have a lemony taste & are used in quite a few Turkish/African dishes.

But true old-fashioned pink lemonade was made with a dollop of Gireaux syrup - at least as far back as 1956.

Other versions were just considered "fruit-flavored lemonade".

pink_lemonade_64oz_carton.jpg

Ingredients
Minute Maid Pink Lemonade contains PURE FILTERED WATER, SWEETENERS (HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP, SUGAR), LEMON JUICE FROM CONCENTRATE, GRAPE JUICE FROM CONCENTRATE (FOR COLOR), LEMON PULP, NATURAL FLAVORS.

Thany you everyone, I really got to know alot :) I was wondering if there is a special ingredient that is put in it to make it thicker? (the one i had was really sweet, thick and frothy)

Are you sure it was pink lemonade. Lemonade is never frothy or thick and syrupy. Someone must have tinkered with the recipe if you had it at someones house. Lemonade is light and refreshing and pink if you want it pink and that's how I have had it for as long as I can remember.

I would suggest that you ask your friends to buy you an instant lemonade powder (sold again in grocery stores). If you like it pink they can buy the pink one. I believe it's much simpler that way. If they don't you can still make it by using fresh lemons and pomogrenate juice as others recommended.

I normally make mine by mixing the powder with water and also some single string sugar syrup. I dont care for the super tart lemonade so I like to sweeten mine up. Always remember to add a pinch of salt to it as well because it just heightens the flavor of the lemons and the sugar.

Back
Top Bottom