Oven-baked Fries

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

advoca

Senior Cook
I came across a recipe the other day for oven baked French fries. It said simply dunk the cut potatoes in milk for 10 minutes before putting into a preheated hot (450F) oven for 10 minutes.

Has anybody tried this way of cooking oven-baked fries?

I've never dunked them in milk (or anything else), but have tossed them with olive oil & seasonings & cooked them in a 450-degree oven for about 20-30 minutes, depending on the cut size, with wonderful results.

We do the olive oil thing all the time, too...very tasty.

I wonder what the milk does to the potatoes? I may have to give that a try.
You're never too old too learn.

Never tried milk. Usually olive oil -- they're great sprinkled with chili powder -- chili fries & a hotdog. YUM.

I've never tried milk. perhaps, and this is just a guess, it helps them brown better.
I know a quick soak in sugar water will help them brown and gives them a tasty sweetness, something this generation apparently needs.
That is the only one of the 40 steps that MacDonalds let out.

Diane1415 said:
That is the only one of the 40 steps that MacDonalds let out.

I will agree that soaking in milk might help in the browning process ... akin to a "milk wash" on a loaf of bread. And, soaking in sugar-water may also do something similar - don't know, never tried it.

RE: McDonalds ... I don't know if they soak their spuds in sugar water before par boiling and flash freezing ... and I really doubt it would contribute to their browning in deep frying ... but I can assure you that the majority of their flavor came from the blend of oils they used - and I got that info from the guy running the hydrogenator for the company that made the oil for them.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom