Lamb shanks roasted, with roast potatoes.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nucleus

Cook
I know for many people lamb is rather strong, some of my friends prefer rather something else. But I love lamb, dating back to my childhood (that's not very long time ago ;o) I always enjoyed lamb. At all times shanks disappear first, I don't wonder why. On the photo the muscle is still hot-expanded. I used a bit honey and soy prior to roasting to give the first bite sweeter taste under which stays the original lamb shank flavor. No garlic, olives or herbs with lamb shanks, it's different to leg of lamb. Roasted potatoes are with seasoning. How do you like lamb?

Attachments

• Lamb-Shanks-roasting-HOBBY.jpg
    Lamb-Shanks-roasting-HOBBY.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 346
I don't get to enjoy lamb much anymore since my husband doesn't eat red meat, but have always loved it. Shanks, roasts, chops, curries - you name it!!!

For my 50th birthday ths past February we went to a lovely local posh bistro place where I had their Lamb Trio special. Three rack-of-lamb ribs, 3 slices/medallions of roast lamb, & a long & spicy lamb sausage. It was FABULOUS!!! Was served atop a bed of broccolini & mashed potatoes that were fixed with just the lightest possible touch of lavender honey.

Without even describing the appetizers & desserts here (since it's a "lamb" thread), must say it was a most memorable meal.

Last edited:
Love lamb, and often do a roast leg.

But at Easter we were only going to be there for a couple of days, so we braised some shanks in a tomato sauce.

Fantastic.

We browned them first, then added a bunch of veggies, some chicken stock, no time to make a lamb stock (which I love to do), and then added some tomato sauce (decided to do that rather than use fresh tomatoes, cannot get good ones here at this time of year).

Some herbs, usually add the dried ones at the beginning and the fresh ones towards the end, and they came out great.

Some mashed Yukon Golds mixed with mashed parsnips, butter, cream and a touch of garlic.

Served with asparagus baked in a bit of EVOO.

Lamb is one of our favorite meats.

Love to cook it and am sorry when folks we are cooking for do not.

love lamb (and goat) and use the shank for braises and dishes with beans like a cassoulet. Like lamb all ways...grilled with lemon and garlic rosemary and onions, roasted, in a curry sweet or hot, in a traditional stew with barley and vegetables or a leftover stew with mushrooms and stout. spice it, herb it, salt and grill it...it's good eats!

Here is a recipe I use to make lamb/goat - shanks and sometimes the entire leg.

Lamb/Goat - 5 shanks or one large leg
Marinade:
2 cups of plain yogurt
2 tbsp of grated ginger
Pinch of cardamom powder (freshly powdered)
Pinch of cinnamon powder
2 tbsps of freshly roasted and ground cumin
2 tbsps of freshly roasted and ground corrainder
1 tbsp of chili powder
Two healthy pinches of saffron
1/2 cup of golden raisins
1/2 cup of almond slivered
2 tbsp of honey
salt to taste
1 cup of finely chopped cilantro
1 cup of finely chopped mint

Mix this all with the lamb (except raisins and almonds) and let it marinate overnight. In the morning place it in a roasting pan stir, add the raisins and almonds, cover and bake at 350 for two hours and then uncover and bake for another hour and a half or until the meat is tender.

Serve with a simple rice pilaf or any other way - We normally serve it with homemade rotis. It's delicious.

Thanks for the Lamb recipe!

I am glad there are more people here who are into lamb! Thank you for the recipe as well, looks interesting i'll most certainly test it. I left nice turkey brine recipe in the Poultry section.

Oh, I'm also enjoying the lamb recipes!!

What I do (due to non-red-meat-eating husband) is adapt recipes for lamb shanks using turkey drumsticks instead. While it certainly ain't lamb, you'd be surprised at how well they come out - same great flavors, just different meat. And obviously the drumsticks take far less time to cook than shanks.

I happened to hit a favorite local butcher (Weber's, in Cuba City, WI, for those who might be near enough) and picked up a couple packages of lamb shanks. This is going to be a real treat because hubby can take-or-leave lamb. He's thinking osso buca, but I think he'd prefer Yakuta's idea. I hate to say it -- I've tried goat in Vietnamese, African, and other preparations, and in spite of my love of most gamy meats, I've never really liked it. But I love lamb and always have. If any thing, sometimes these days they are so babied that they don't even taste like lamb unless you go for the fattier and cheaper cuts.

This isn't a recipe for lamb shanks - but it is a wonderful way to prepare a leg of lamb. I posted it in honour of St David's Day, the Welsh patron saint. Welsh lamb is wonderful when in season.

Roast Welsh lamb, figs and shallots

4lb leg of Welsh lamb
2 garlic cloves, cut into thin slivers
1 tbsp olive oil
6 shallots, peeled and halved
6 fresh figs, halved
2 tbsp fresh rosemary leaves
2 tbsp raspberry vinegar
salt and freshly ground black pepper
Preheat the oven 190 C / Gas mark 5. Using a sharp knife, make small slashes in the surface of the Welsh lamb and push a sliver of garlic into each one. Rub the surface of the meat with the oil and season with salt and pepper. Transfer to a roasting tin and cook for 1 hour 40 minutes to 2 hours.

Thirty minutes before the end of the cooking time, add the shallots and figs to the roasting tin and sprinkle with the rosemary leaves. Return to the oven until the end of the cooking time. Remove the lamb from the roasting tin and transfer to a board. Cover with foil and leave to rest for 5 minutes.

Transfer the figs and shallots to an ovenproof dish and keep warm. Stir the roasting tin over a medium heat on the hob and add the vinegar and sugar. Stir until simmering, then allow to bubble for 2-3 minutes. Slice the lamb and serve with the figs and shallots, drizzled with the dressing.

Serve with roasted vegetables and seasonal green vegetables.

Lamb

Ishbel and Yakuta, I always can count on you for recipes w/lamb. The people around here do not care for lamb. It is favorite of mine. My mother used to fix for us when she had special day.

What are your feelings about goat? I don't even know if I could find it around here. Is it similar to goat flavor? There are so many different meats that could be prepapred if only person had access to the supplier. Seems everything in the store is already made all you have to do is 'heat and eat'. When I questioned the butcher about t he change he said, 'we provide what the people demand'. I don't demand prepared food but I am in minority and don't really count. I like to start w/something and flavor the way I want. Not lot of salt.

The picture really made me hungry. Thanks for posting. Was this your dish?

No, it was a freebie recipe from the Welsh Lamb Marketing Board which I got at my butcher's a while back.

I do not like goat meat. I've tried it in a number of ways, Jamaican goat curry, for example... just not too keen!

I love lamb. Our local lamb is wonderful, but we also import chilled lamb from New Zealand so there is always lots and lots of different lamb cuts in the butcher's section of our supermarkets. I always tend to use my local butcher, rather than the supermarkets for meat purchases.

Ishbel

You are wise to eat lamb. Especially when it is so available to you. I have to search long and hard to lamb. Only offered around here at Easter and then no one buys it. I wish I could buy more but don't want to keep it too long. Only freeze for six months I believe. Thanks for letting me know about goat. Guess that is why isn't available here. not good.

We can easily get goat from a Halal butcher. Lamb shanks is something we cooked for both the dogs and us, they were once cheap. Now I get them rib cages from the dogs bin at the supermarket, and from the same place I get ribs for us, for stock.

I like to keep my recipes simple and just slow roast the shank with lots of salt and pepper. The cooking time varies but you know it's ready when the meat falls off the bone. Yum!

Hi dcer's.

I want to cook my GF some lamb shanks this friday night and looking for a recipe that uses mushrooms and red wine. Also chasing a really nice recipe for some mash potato's to have with the dish. Thank you :chef:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom