New Foodie on the Block

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mark Webster

Senior Cook
Hello everyone,

My name is Mark and I have been cooking professionally for many years. I have traveled to over 35 countries (living in several) and have lived in different regions of the USA. I am a big Foodie and love the fact that its not only my passion, but also my profession. I started in the industry when working in a restaurant was not the popular thing to do. Thanks to the media and outlets like TV Food Network we are finally getting our much deserved attention. I have had the opportunity to take classes at several culinary schools and continue to do it whenever I can. I also use my knowledge and experience to judge Culinary compeitions at schools, the Kansas City Royal BBQ Competition and the VICA chapionship each June.
I am Certified through the American Culinary Federation (ACF) as a Executive Chef and Culinary Educator, have been a Chef Member of the James Beard Foundation for many years and I am also a member of the National Ice Carvers Association (NICA). I didn't intend for this to seem like a Promo for myself, but really as a this is who I am and love disccussing everything regarding food.
I cannot wait to interact with everyone.

Mark

Hey Mark, welcome to the site. You are going to fit in perfectly here. We are a group that has a true love of food and cooking. We are glad you joined us!

Wow Mark Thats impressive! We are all going to be happy receiving your advice and recipes :) Welcome to DC!! :D

Welcome Mark!! We are really glad that you are here!! I am sure you have a thing or two to teach us and many ideas, techniques and recipes to share, we look forward to them all!! Make yourself comfy and join in the fun!!

Thank you one and all for your gracious words. I can already tell that this will be a great place to talk to other foodies.

Mark

Welcome to Dc Mark,
Can't wait to see your favorite recipes and ideas..Love of cooking and each other makes this forum hum..
kadesma:)

Wow! Great intro!
What types of foods do you passionately love to cook?
And, what is your favorite comfort food?

Good Morning everyone,

I just wanted to thank everyone again for your warm welcome. As I get to know everyone I would like to learn your favorite cusines and why they are. I love Greek food because of the use of oil, fresh veggies, olives and yogurt. Kalamatas rock!! I had the opportunity to live on the island of Crete in Greece for a year and also traveled to other islands. Like to hear from you.

Mark

I would never be able to pick a favorite. I love so many different things so much. Greek and Mediterranean food is amazing. I also love all types of Asian food be it Chinese, Thai, Korean, Indian, Japanese you name it. Mexican, American, African, Russian, Polish...the list goes on and on. I do not think I have tasted food from a specific cuisine that I have not found something that I loved.

GB,
I love all types myself and beleive that each has its place. The only point I draw the line at is when Chefs/Cooks become overly creative and they term their food fusion cooking when they try to blend 4 or 5 cuisines into a single dish. Fusion cooking should enhance a dish not confuse the diner.
Mark

hey mark nice to meet you, i am also new here, i am christina. i was wondering, how many people on here are actually chefs? i am in culinary school right now so this is a great place for me but i was wondering how many professionals are around?

It's been over 3 years since I came to Rome, discovering and then learning the authentic Italian cuisine has been so enlightening as well as delightful for me. I came to appreciate such wonderful diversity of specialties from different regions, and the way they treat each of their meals. As a globetrotting foodie, I am pretty sure you have been to Italy, too... what are some of the memorable experiences here?
And I also can relate to your thoughts about "fusion" cooking... I must admit doing something like eating curry or sugo over quinoa, or guacamole with falafel and actually enjoying them, but I agree there is definetely a boundary between creativeness and "abuse" of it...

Back
Top Bottom