Cashew-Orange Chicken Salad-rec:

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kadesma

Chef Extraordinaire
Moderator Emeritus
A little different from other chicken salads, it is pretty put on individual plates lined with butter lettuce leaves and the salad mounded on top,surrounded by the mandarin orange slices, or put into a deep bowl, the sides lined with romaine and then lay the oranges around the edge of the rim on top of the chicken.
1-c. OJ
1/4-c. fresh cilantro or parsley, I used cilantro
1/2-c. veggie oil or walnut which I used
1-Tab. red wine vinegar
1-Tab. Dijon
2-tea. orange zest
1-tea. sugar
salt and ground black pepper
6-poached chicken breast halves, either sliced in 1/2 in. slices of shredded, I shred.
3-celery stalks, cut into strips or diced
2-c. shredded romaine or iceberg
4-green onions, sliced including the tops
1-red bell, cut into strips or diced
3/4-c. salted cashews
1-11oz. can mandarin oranges.
Put OJ into a pan, bring to boil and reduce to 1/2 c. Let cool. Combine OJ,cilantro,oil,vinegar,mustard,zest,sugar,salt and black pepper in F/P or a blender. Mix for 20 seconds. Cut chix into slices or shred,put into big bowl,add celery,lettuce,green onions,red bells, and cashews. Pour on the dressing and toss a little. Mound as you wish to serve then sprinkle on some chopped cashews if you'd like. Wonderful hot weather lunch with ice tea or lemonade and a nice toasted roll of some sort. Serves 4

enjoy,
kadesma:)

jpmcgrew said:
:) If you didn't put chicken in it it would still be perfect like as a salad with some kind of chicken dish.
I'd think so..The peppers and celery and mandarins and cashews, make it nice, you could even add some sliced strawberries and a little jicama. yummy with a piece of fish or grilled chicken..Good Idea JP thanks:)

kadesma

:) Thanks Kadesma! Now you got me thinking you could use leftover duck or even do it with shrimp.In my world Im constantly thinking how to use up what you have and still make it good.I did copy & paste your recipe,I cant wait to try it out.

jpmcgrew said:
:) Thanks Kadesma! Now you got me thinking you could use leftover duck or even do it with shrimp.In my world Im constantly thinking how to use up what you have and still make it good.I did copy & paste your recipe,I cant wait to try it out.
Great JP, this is what I so enjoy being on this forum, you post a recipe and someone answers and then give you a new idea for the same recipe.This is exciting and a fun way to expand our ideas.While I don't eat duck (long story) the shrimp idea sound great:LOL: Hope you enjoy the salad as much as we do.

kadesma:)

:) Thanks Kadesma,The fact that I hafto drive 130 miles round trip just to get some decent groceries forces you to try and work with whatever you have.No going to the store for a quart of milk and with gas prices.Well, you know.I go about every 2 to 3 weeks but have figured out how to make produce last and what milks etc last a long time.

Back
Top Bottom