Romesco Sauce

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ironchef

Executive Chef
I'm surprised there's no recipe for this on here. With summer coming around this is a great sauce for grilled meats, shrimp, hearty fish, etc. Lot's of recipes out there, but here's mine. I like my Romesco a little on the loose side. Many recipes call for it to be thick. If you want your Romesco thicker and use this recipe, add in breadcrumbs near when you blend the sauce at the end.

Romesco Sauce

Yield: Approx. 2 cups

Ingredients:

4 Roma Tomatoes
1/2 c. Jarred Piquillo Peppers
1 med. Sweet Onion, finely diced
3 cloves fresh Garlic, thinly sliced
2/3 c. Spanish Extra Virgin Olive Oil
3 Tbsp. Sliced Almonds
3 Tbsp. Pinenuts
6 Fresh Thyme Sprigs
1 Bay Leaf
2 Tbsp. Sherry Vinegar
2 Tbsp. Red Wine Vinegar
1 1/2 tsp. Crush Red Chile Flakes
2 tsp. Ancho Chile Powder
1 tsp. Anchovy Paste
Kosher Salt to taste

Method:

Over an open flame or under a broiler, roast the tomatoes until the skins are charred on all sides. Place the tomatoes in a bowl and cover with plastic wrap for approx. 5-7 minutes. Remove skin and discard. Reserve the tomato and any liquids. In a sauce pan, heat approx. 3 Tbsp. of the oil. Add the pinenuts and almonds and saute until a light golden brown. Add the onion and saute until translucent and tender, about 4-5 minutes. Add the garlic and chile flakes, and saute until the garlic is tender, about 1-2 minutes. Add the remaining oil, tomatoes, thyme, bay leaf, and peppers and over med-low heat, cook until the tomatoes are soft, about 30-40 minutes. Remove the thyme sprigs and bay leaf, and transfer the sauce to a food processor or blender. Add the vinegars, anchovy paste, tomato juices, and ancho powder, and puree until smooth. Season to taste with salt and serve. This sauce can keep for up to 5 days in the refer if chilled/stored properly.

Last edited:
Romesco, Romesco! Oh where art thou Romescos! j/k, IC.

This looks delish. Never made it at home, so appreciate you sharing your recipe. Saving it to my collection. Thank you.

Oh yummy... this sounds great. Thanks, IC. :)

I love romesco sauce with swordfish and needed a good recipe for it!

Last edited:
I like my Romesco with the consistency similar to a coulis. By roasting the tomatoes and then making sort of a "confit" of the roasted tomatoes and piquillo peppers, it really changes the complexity and depth of the sauce. Hope you enjoy it!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom