Extracting Peppermint Oil

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PIEdPIEper316

Assistant Cook
Summer's coming again and i have several peppermint plants that grow to epic proportions every time the heat goes up. Does anyone know of a way to extract the oil from the leaves? I'm rather picky about my ingredients, and whenever possible, i like to make them myself.

Btw, i'm a college-bound high school student; meaning i'm poor. Or rather <coughcough> cheap... In other words, i dont have access to any fun equipment not found in your typical kitchen. hehe...

Thanks in advance.:)

This is just a complete guess, but I would say Put a whole bunch of leaves in a blender with a good amount of water. Blend until liquified. Pour into a tall narrow container and let sit overnight, covered. The oil should rise to the top since oil and water do not mix. Then it should just be a matter of pulling the oil off and into another airtight container.

I do not really know if this will work, but that is how I would try.

GB is right, we did same with eucalypt leaves. These leaves are hardy and oil became soluble and extracted better on heating up.

the methods on the site with the processing plants are a bit too complicated for my taste- too much to do with distillation and then condensing. Imma go with the blender idea.

TY all, guys- you've just made today an awesome day.
<dances all the way to backyard>

Back
Top Bottom