What cut of beef do I use to make sliced roast beef for sandwiches?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jaeschrj

Assistant Cook
What kind of beef do I use to make the roast beef that can be sliced for sandwiches (like the kind you get at delis)?

I watched America's Test Kitchen on Saturday and they were showing the difference between a roast that was "roasted" and the same cut "braised". They used a chuck, which I usually avoid, but they said it is more flavorful than many other cuts. I suppose my problem in the past was the roasting, but I will try braising next time. Theirs was very tender and juicy. After browning it on all sides, it was put in the oven on a bed of veggies, covered with aluminum foil, then the lid and cooked at about 250 F for 3 or 4 hours. That should be quite easy to do - no watching... They also did one with a bottle of red wine, but I don't remember the cut on that one.

It really cepends on the flavor you're looking for. As was stated above, the chuck has great flavor, as it's an exercised muscle. But many parts of the chuck have have a lot ov connecting tissue. The rounds, inside, top, and bottom, are exercised muscles as well, and like the chuck, have good flavor. An inside round lends itself to thin slices suitable for beef sandwiches. I usually take a round and slowly barbecue it over a divided bed of charcoal, with the lid on the barbecue. I take it off when the meat thermometer reads about 140. I then slice it very thin and place in a sealed container in the fridge. For seasoning, I just use S & P and rely on the natural beef flavor, smoke, and whatever condiments I'm in the mood for to make the sandwich taste great.

My hcildren love it when I make a batch of home-made delli beef. Real deli beef, of course, is brined in a solution of salt and Sodium Nitrite (or is that Sodium Nitrate). This serves to stain the meat pink, and prohibits the growth of nasty microbes in the meat. It gives deli beef its unique flavor. I prefer the touch of smokines, and natural beef flavor.

Chuck can be used. And braising is certainly a valid technique. But you will need to cook the beef to a well-done state.

Hope this helps.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

It depends on how much you want to pay. Ribeye or tenderloin would make lucious sandwiches. A good economical roast is the sirloin tip. Roast it rare and cut it very thinly on the bias for tenderness.

licia said:
I watched America's Test Kitchen on Saturday and they were showing the difference between a roast that was "roasted" and the same cut "braised". They used a chuck, which I usually avoid, but they said it is more flavorful than many other cuts. I suppose my problem in the past was the roasting, but I will try braising next time. Theirs was very tender and juicy. After browning it on all sides, it was put in the oven on a bed of veggies, covered with aluminum foil, then the lid and cooked at about 250 F for 3 or 4 hours. That should be quite easy to do - no watching... They also did one with a bottle of red wine, but I don't remember the cut on that one.

I agree with licia.. you can even cut down the temp even more(210°F) and adjust the time..
best way to get a wonderful juicy roast.. you just have to make sure it is well browned from all sides so no juice will find its way out..
ulle.gif

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom