Juices from leg of lamb roast in wood fired oven?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nucleus

Cook
Can anyone suggest what to use the juice from roasting a leg of lamb for? I am not sure if it can be further used...

I do all roasts in closed roaster pot in wood fired oven. From turkeys or other poultry I make gravy. There is always a lot less liquid produced from lamb. first I squash 2 bunches of un-pealed garlic, put it in the pot bottom and place the meat on top, close and roast in higher heat (sizzling is heard from the pot.) The meat is slightly lifted and the garlic mixes with the juices. I take off the lid at the end. As seen on the picture herbs usually burn down but with wood fire burning the skin on the hot face gets very nice looks. I also used ghee on this lamb. Thanks

Attachments

• Leg_of_lamb_wood_fired-oven.jpg
    Leg_of_lamb_wood_fired-oven.jpg
    155.7 KB · Views: 283
  • Wood-fired_oven_roaster.jpg
    Wood-fired_oven_roaster.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 319
Leg of lam roasted in wood fired brick oven.

This photo is just to show the meat from profile after it cooled down. Above photo shows the lamb shortly after taken out while the muscle is still expanded from the heat.

Attachments

• lambroast.jpg
    lambroast.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 296
Last edited:
This is culinary gold to me! I strain it (to remove herbs, garlic, etc.) into a plastic bowl and refrigerate overnight. If I'm not going to use it within a week - I separate the fat layer from the jellied juices and divide both into portions and freeze in small plastic bags. I can then use these jewels to give a lamb flavor to several dishes. It's great for turning ground beef into "poor man's" ground lamb ... in stuffed cabbage, moussaka, etc. I also use it a couple of ways with rice dishes ... saute onion and the rice for a saffron rice pilaf, or to make a gravy to go over boiled white rice. Sometimes, I just make a bit of gravy and use it as a dip for bread.

Michael, nicely put "This is culinary gold to me!"

To me too! Thanks, interesting just what I needed. Will try all as it makes sense. I actually dipped in turkish bread for the love of that garlic taste. Turkish bread is easy and fast to make and with the leg of lamb or shanks goes great. Even the next day for lunch at work.

Lamb sauce and roasting.

Not to create too many dishes for washing up, most of the time I slice the meat right inside the pot and these pieces get moist in the sauce. Left over piece, if there is any, goes to fridge. (here is one close up picture on that lamb slicing carving inside the roaster pot.) There is always quite a bit of the sauce left. When duing poultry I open the lid every ~10 minutes grab sauce with spoon and moist the birds top. I don't touch lamb though at all when it's being done.

In regards the Turkish Bread; i'll write down the sequence and post it in the baking section.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom