Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums

Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/)
-   Vegetables (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   Butternut squash question (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f18/butternut-squash-question-22134.html)

akatia82 05-08-2006 11:39 AM

Butternut squash question

I have a question about butternut squash. Sometimes after boiling and mashing it, it comes out thick and pasty:mad: , and other times it's light and juicy:smile: although I cook and prepare it the same way every time. This is a hit or miss thing and I prefer the airy and juicy outcome! Does anyone know why it comes out both ways? And what can I do so it doesnt come out pasty??:chef:

mish 05-08-2006 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by akatia82
I have a question about butternut squash. Sometimes after boiling and mashing it, it comes out thick and pasty:mad: , and other times it's light and juicy:smile: although I cook and prepare it the same way every time. This is a hit or miss thing and I prefer the airy and juicy outcome! Does anyone know why it comes out both ways? And what can I do so it doesnt come out pasty??:chef:

I either nuke it, broil it, or bake it. Boiling in water may have something to do with the consistancy.

akatia82 05-08-2006 11:46 AM

Well 9 times out of 10 its airy and juicy. Someone once told me it had to do with the ripeness. The jury is still out on that one since I grow it and the same batch can give different results. Thanks for the reply though!:smile:

Andy M. 05-08-2006 12:17 PM

It is probably due to the moisture content of the squash. If a squash has been around for a while, it can lose some moisture, resulting in a dryer end product.

I tend to bake butternut squash whole then mash it with butter. Sometimes I also add roasted garlic and/or brown sugar.

mish 05-08-2006 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by akatia82
Well 9 times out of 10 its airy and juicy. Someone once told me it had to do with the ripeness. The jury is still out on that one since I grow it and the same batch can give different results. Thanks for the reply though!:smile:

You're welcome akatia82, & welcome to DC.

Since you grow your own (lucky you), I can see where ripeness would have a factor in the end cooking result. Be sure the squash is ripe prior to any cooking method. If you'd like recipes, I have plenty, as I adore sqaush.:chef:

akatia82 05-08-2006 12:33 PM

Thanks for the post. I have also cooked it other ways. I just prefer this way. It may have something to do with the water content. I have grown squash for 48 years and have cooked it from harvest season to 3 months later with the same results. Like I said, more times it comes out airy and juicy than not. Just curious as to the cause and if I can do anything different or watch for anything to do with the fresh squash before boiling it.

Gretchen 05-10-2006 08:39 AM

Don't boil it--roast it and add liquid to get the consistency you want.

akatia82 05-10-2006 04:46 PM

Sorry but I prefer it boiled and mashed with salt and pepper and butter. I prefer it this way than roasted.