Food day, breakfast ideas needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Angie

Head Chef
On Wednesday our department (around 40-45 people) is having a food day and the theme is breakfast.

We have a fridge but the micro is not on our floor.

I need some ideas on what to bring other than picking up donuts or bagels! I'm not worried about having enough to feed all 40-45 people since we are ALL bringing food, but it'd be nice to have something original....

How about some homemade french toast topped with fresh fruit? That incorporates eggs, milk, bread and fruit all in one so you can't go wrong with this type of breakfast. All you'd need is a cup of coffee to go with it.

How about making muffins or scones? They make a great breakfast treat, travel well, and are easy to make. Here is a recipe for PA Baker's scones.

PA Baker’s Scones

8 oz (1 3/4 c) all purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1 Tbsp sugar
Granted zest of 1 medium orange
4 oz (8 Tbsp) cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/3" cubes
3/4 c buttermilk, divided
2 Tbsp turbinado sugar, sugar in the raw, or granulated sugar (I use sugar in the raw)

(Add 1/2 cup dried currants, dried cranberries, dried cherries, bits of chocolate, or fresh blueberries to create a variety of scones)

Heat the oven to 400F. Combine the flour, baking powder, salt and sugar in an electric mixer. Using the paddle attachment, mix in the orange zest or other mix-ins. Add the butter and mix just until coated with flour. The butter chunks should remain fairly large--no less than half their original size. With the mixer set on low speed, add 2/3 c of the buttermilk and mix until just absorbed. Stop mixing when the dough begins to pull away from the sides of the bowl.

Scrape the dough from the bowl and shape it into a ball. With well floured fingers (I never need to flour mine), pat the dough into a 7"-diameter disk. Cut the disk into quarters and then again into eighths. Set the scones on a baking sheet lined with kitchen parchment and brush the tops with the remaining buttermilk. Sprinkle with turbinado sugar and bake until well browned, about 15-20 minutes.

Makes 8

This is one of my favorite muffin recipes.

Cinnamon Apple Muffins

Cinnamon and apple are a perfect combination for these
autumn-inspired muffins.

Prep: 15 min Bake: 18 min

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 cup milk
1/3 cup butter, melted
1 egg, slightly beaten
1 cup finely chopped apple

Heat oven to 375°F. Combine, flour, sugar, baking powder and
cinnamon in medium bowl. Add all remaining ingredients. Stir
just until flour is moistened.

Spoon batter into greased 12-cup muffin pan. Bake for 18 to
23 minutes or until lightly browned. Let stand 5 minutes;
remove from pan.

Makes 1 dozen muffins

A fun breakfast for a crowd is to take puff pastry, cut it into small squares, around 3-4" or so, put one in each hole of a mini muffin tin, then fill each square with scrambled egg. Bake (at home) till puff is golden, then quickly top each with shredded cheese and an olive slice.

How do you keep it warm? Try this idea, which works for any plate you need to keep hot:
Cover the entire baking dish well with foil and set into a larger pan which you have lined with freshly baked potatoes. Now wrap both pans together, to retain the heat. These will stay warm for an incredibly long time.

Angie said:
... but it'd be nice to have something original....

Well, one of a dozen different recipes for a breakfast burrito would be nice - but since we don't know where you live then that might not be anything "original" or special where you live.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom