Healthy Energy Drink?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brandi Clark

Assistant Cook
Hi everyone! I was wondering if any of you have some good healthy energy drink recipes? I tend to enjoy drinking coffee about mid-day (especially when I'm at work) and would like to find something a bit healthier, refreshing, and tastes good. Here's one recipe that I've found. I haven't tried it yet but plan to. It's HARD to put down the coffee and cokes!:-p Do you have any other recipes?

1 large navel orange, peeled and sectioned
1/2 cup iced tea
3/4 cup orange sorbet
3 ice cubes

Combine ingredients in a blender and mix until smooth.

Thanks!
Brandi

Warning. Large post ahead.

I do believe a few of these recipes are from a Canadian restaurant called Rebar (I think). The others are from various unknown sources that have entered my collection over time

Tropical Energy Smoothie

2 TBS tahini
1 medium size ripe banana
1 cup low fat plain yogurt
1 - 1 1/2 cups pineapple juice
1 medium papaya

Scoop out meat from papaya with spoon and place in blender with rest of ingredients. Blend until smooth.

Makes 2 cups.

Morning Power Smoothie

4 large strawberries
¼ cup low fat plain yogurt
1 cup fresh orange juice
1 TBS tahini
1 medium size banana
½ tsp vanilla
1 TBS honey

Remove stems from strawberries and wash.

Blend all ingredients in blender until smooth.

makes 2 cups.

Fiesta del Sol

120ml cranberries, fresh or frozen
1 apple
1 orange, segmented

Blend all together.

Makes about 360ml.

Hyperion

3 pineapple spears, 135g
1 pear
1 1/2 oranges, segmented
3 ice cubes

Blend all together.

Makes about 360ml.

Cosmos

1/2 grapefruit, segmented
6 strawberries
1 pear
3 ice cubes

Blend all together.

Makes about 360ml.

Atomic Glow

2 apples
6 strawberries
15g ginger
3 ice cubes

Blend all together.

Makes about 360ml.

Nectarine Whirl

2 nectarines cut in chunks
1 cup milk
1 cup orange juice
2 tbsp honey
1/4 tsp Almond extract
4 ice cubes, crushed

Place all ingredients in a blender. Blend at high speed for 15 seconds.

Serves 2.

Apple Honey Shake

950ml chilled apple cider or juice
2 cups chilled orange juice
1/4 cup honey
2 tsp. grated orange rind

Combine all ingredients and shake to blend.
Pour over ice in tall glasses.
Garnish with mint sprig, apple slice or long peel of orange.

Serves 6.

Melonicious

1/4 rockmelon, peeled, seeded and cubed
1/4 honeydew melon, peeled, seeded and cubed
1 lime, juiced
2 tbsp sugar

In a blender, combine cantaloupe, honeydew, lime juice and sugar. Blend until smooth. Pour into glasses and serve.

Serves 4.

Quiver (this one is quite different but it works. Better in winter if you feel a bit stuffy and a cold might be on the way)

1/2 lemon, segmented
1 1/2 grapefruit, segmented
1 garlic clove
15ml olive oil
3 pinches cayenne

Blend all together.

Makes about 360ml.

Make any smoothie concoction. LOTS of calories. Not much fiber. Depends on what you "need".

Make any smoothie concoction. LOTS of calories. Not much fiber. Depends on what you "need".

The fibre content depends on what fruit you use and if you include the skin (such as the case with apples). Additionally you can also add other things such as oat or wheat bran (or even a muesli mix) or something like psyllium seed husks to boost the fibre content. This will help you feel full for longer as well as helping to lower blood cholesterol and other health benefits.

Haggis said:
The fibre content depends on what fruit you use and if you include the skin (such as the case with apples). Additionally you can also add other things such as oat or wheat bran (or even a muesli mix) or something like psyllium seed husks to boost the fibre content. This will help you feel full for longer as well as helping to lower blood cholesterol and other health benefits.

I like to add ground flax seed to my smoothies. Sometimes, I will add whole flax seed, but it is not as beneficial as the ground flax seed due to our bodies being unable to digest whole flax seed. I just like the texture and taste of whole flax seed.

and don't forget that flax seed oil is beneficial in your skin's health too!

Brandi, once you're over your coke/coffee midday binge, you'll notice your days will be much more productive! Don't get me wrong, I do love coffee, but it's only a day starter. The recipe you've got looks tasty, but quite sugary, and sugar tends to give you a quickie high, followed by a loooooooooow low. I'd stick to something a bit more healthy for the best benefits. At your local Trader Joe's, Whole Foods or health food store, you'll find various powders you can incorporate into your smoothies, each with it's own good energy-providers. When you finally find something that knocks your socks off, please share!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom