Pickled Weiners

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Trip

Senior Cook
I really would like a REALLY GOOD recipe for pickled weiners, my mother in law makes decent ones but doesn't share the recipe lol. Any suggestions?:rolleyes:

I don't know if you would consider these pickled, but a friend of mine cooks them in a crockpot with a jar of banana peppers - hot if you really like them hot, less if you don't. She just sliced the weiners in about 1/2 inch pieces and put it all together in the crockpot. The longer it cooks the hotter they get. Wonderful party food. I can't imagine your mil not sharing with you.

Here is one Scandinavian recipe I found for Pickled Franks that sounds similar to what I used to get for lunch at a little place in Austin, TX just around the corner off Congress and 6th (or was it 7th?) on my afternoon break when I was working my way through college there. They had big gallon jars sitting on the counter .. along with pickled eggs, pickled spicy sausages, and pickled pigs feet.

I am sure you could also use any recipe for pickled pig's feet - just adjust the cooking time since franks/weiners do not need the long cooking of raw pig's feet or raw spicy German sausages.

Hope this helps!

Wow, might try that the other one she was showing looks good but REALLY spicey. Think I'll skip the pigs feet though, I'm usually pretty liberal in what I'll eat but... uh.... no thanks.

The ones my friend makes has only the peppers and the liquid from the peppers and cut up weiners - just dumps it all in the crockpot - make sure you get the kind of peppers you really want - banana peppers come in mild and hot. I like the hot.

Thanks. I like the hot ones myself. My husband doesn't eat red meat, but I'm thinking this might be interesting to try with turkey franks.

My hubby's Aunt made some mean pickled weiners, which my son loved. She gave me her recipe before she died. She called them Wienier Peppers. Here it is:
Aunt Thelma's Wiener Peppers

2 gallons hot peppers
5 large onions
4 packages Wieners (hot dogs)
32 ounces catsup (ketchup)
1 pint vinegar
3 cups sugar
1/2 cup oil
1 tablespoon salt

Slice peppers, onions and hot dogs, set aside
Mix catsup, oil, vinegar, salt and sugar, boil.
Add peppers, onions and hot dogs. Cook 20 minutes.
Pack and seal.
Makes 10 pints.

Michael, that sounds good. Would like to try it with the smokey links or the cocktail franks, think they would make a good presentation.

Have only found the stuff in jars in stores, and then verrrrrry rarely.

But would love to make some.

Thanks for the link.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom