Foreman grill cleanup tips

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NisAznMonk

Assistant Cook
i REALLY suck at maintaining my foreman grill. Its great when its new, but after maybe 2-3 uses its a real pain to clean.

Does anyone have any tips on how I can clean it fairly quickly and maintain it effortlessly (or close to it :LOL:).

Hhmm, mine cleans up pretty easily. Both my top and bottom grates are detachable and can be put in the dishwasher, although I hardly do that because everything usually sponges off. Did you grill come with a special sponge that fits in the grooves of the grill? Or with a scraper that fits in the grooves of the grill?

Part of the problem is that you should clean it after every use. Otherwise, the residue from the first use gets baked on hard during subsequent uses and becomes more difficult to clean.

Ugh - I have one of the older models without detachable grill plates, which is now residing in the basement.

After just 2 years of use, the non-stick finish started to come off, even though I never used anything stronger than a paper towel or, when absolutely necessary, a plastic scrub pad to clean it.

Then, weird raised areas of crud started cropping up that had nothing to do with food & that I couldn't remove regardless of what I did.

So it's now in the basement, & when we do our basement cleanout will probably be tossed. I haven't tossed it before because it was a gift from my husband & I didn't want to hurt his feelings.

The instructions that came with mine said to spray it with cooking spray before every use, then clean it up with paper towels. That method has worked great for me so far.
My husband used it once without the cooking spray, and it was a real booger to clean, so we learned our lesson about that.

Constance said:
The instructions that came with mine said to spray it with cooking spray before every use, then clean it up with paper towels. That method has worked great for me so far.
My husband used it once without the cooking spray, and it was a real booger to clean, so we learned our lesson about that.

this is the best way to prevent the clean -up problem, use pam or something like it before use, just be carefull not to douse it overly with the spray...

Thanks for the tips everyone! I didn't know that they had the kind with the detachable plates. That is definately something I'm going to look into. :chef:

Now you see, my older model didn't say anything about having to oil the grill plates. In fact, their selling point at that time was that you didn't have to use ANY type of oil at all. Guess they learned from customers like me that that didn't exactly work - lol!!

Michelemarie said:
My george is a newer model and I do not grease or spray anything on my grates and nothing sticks - hhhmmmmm:dry: :glare: .

I think that we've identified the problem here. Like his children all of George Foreman's grills, new and old, are named George. :rolleyes:

I've never had a problem cleaning mine. It was purchased 2 1/2 years ago so I'd say its a newer one. Anyway, I never sprayed it with anything. After each use before it completely cools I take a papertowel and wipe the grids clean and then take a soapy rag a clean then and a clean rag to rinse and then I dry it with another papertowel.

Back
Top Bottom