Recommendations on a steamer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No need to buy anything special to steam veggies in a microwave. Just use any microwave safe bowl and put your veggies right in with just a little bit of liquid (maybe a teaspoons worth or so). Cover with plastic wrap and nuke.

That's what we do.

We also have an oblong three-part steamer. It consists of a bottom piece into which fits an insert that's perforated throughout with holes. Ther third piece is the lid. Water goes into the bottom, veggies into the insert, cover and nuke.

Ther result is about the same as putting them into a bowl with a little water and covering with plastic wrap.

NisAznMonk said:
should I poke holes in the plastic wrap to vent it?

It's optional. Sometimes, the plastic wrap will bubble up like it's going to pop. A small hole or two will prevent that.

Steamer recommendations

My last girlfriend had some Corningware glass saucepans with lids. Not only did these work very well for steaming vegetables, they also worked amazingly well for making Bechamel and Bechamel-based sauces in the microwave. I used them with the lids for vegetables, and without for the sauces. When cooking vegetables, the lid's imperfect seal "blows off steam."

For anyone who has not made Bechamel, or "white sauce" in the microwave, I highly recommend it. It works very well, especially if you are preparing a big holiday meal, and don't have time to constantly stir a sauce for several minutes.

I don't miss her all that much, but I do miss that Corningware! :cool:

Kelly

GB said:
No need to buy anything special to steam veggies in a microwave. Just use any microwave safe bowl and put your veggies right in with just a little bit of liquid (maybe a teaspoons worth or so). Cover with plastic wrap and nuke.

I just did this the other day with some spaghetti squash.:)

I put a little bit of water into a Pyrex square glass pan, covered it with plastic wrap, leaving a spot open for the steam to escape and viola!!, The squash was successfully steamed and done to perfection in 20 minutes!!!:chef:

Portuguese inginuity, as Emeril always says!

~Corey123.

Back
Top Bottom