Howdy do to U,eh?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cook4health

Assistant Cook
Hi to everyone from the U.P of Michigan,
I am new to the site and would like input on some keen recipes that can accommodate--vegetarian (fresh or some canned fish and eggs ok), non dairy (soy ok), low salt, alternative sweetners (fruit, agave, maple syrup,etc) (no artificial ones), whole grain, chemical free, nice and fresh foods. My husband's diet is restricted by choice and by necessity, but he does like flavor as long as it's not too spicy.
How about a salad dressing that includes tahini and lemon?
Tempeh, tofu, sea veggies, nut butters (other than peanut butter) too.
Also anyone have great chicken recipes that teens like and Italian meals for teens (sans pork, please)
Sometimes I feel like a short-order cook but that's how it goes when you have to cook differently for diet restricted folks.(Teens would like to restrict their diets to whatever they can eat that doesn't have nutrients attached to it, but health-conscious moms or dads keep that in check, right?)
Thanks everyone and I look forward to hearing from you. :)

Welcome to DC. You'll find lots of recipes and ideas in the vegetarian and nutritional and specialty diet threads.

Last edited:
Welcome to DC!! You will find oodles of ideas and help here, as well as tons of fun, have a great time hanging out with us!!
I love tahini dressing, I add crushed roasted garlic and toasted sesami seed for added flavour/texture!!
Let me know a little more in detail the preferences of your teenage children, there can be so many suggestions and recipes that may please them... I have been here in Italy for 3 years and I would love to help you with some ideas!!

Italian dishes and tahini dressing

My children like a sauce that is not chunky. Just a nice sauce with basil and subtle spices, but no visible tomatoes, peppers, etc. They like cheeses and they like meatballs. I need a good recipe for garlic bread, too. Their father's family is from Italy so real Italian recipes they would love! Thanks!:)

cook4health said:
My children like a sauce that is not chunky. Just a nice sauce with basil and subtle spices, but no visible tomatoes, peppers, etc. They like cheeses and they like meatballs. I need a good recipe for garlic bread, too. Their father's family is from Italy so real Italian recipes they would love! Thanks!:)

Ciao C4H, okay, if your kids like basil and cheeses, I can recommend 2 of the very typical and tasty condiments for pasta for a starter!! Both of them non-chunky, and no spice overload.

First is pesto alla genovese

-fresh basil leaves separated from the stem and well rinsed, then well drained
-Extra virgin olive oil, make sure it is a good quality. about 3/4 of amount (in grams/ozs not the volume) of the leaves.
(please experiment with the amount of below items, adding them gradually... to your personal taste...for a rough measure I use about 75g of cheese, 2 big cloves of garlic 75g of nuts to make about 1lb.)
-well seasoned parmigiano or pecorino cheese, or combination, freshly ground
-cloves of garlic
-mixture of pine nuts and cashew

First you whip the basil with oil in a blender/food processor to make a smooth goo. Then add the next 3 items and mix further until everything is well blended. It can be frozen in rather small amounts, make sure you pack it well and it will freeze fairly quickly. To keep in the fridge you put it in a bottle, and cover the surface with extra olive oil, to avoid the contact with the air.

Then there is quattro formaggi, or 4 cheese sauce.
Though this is quite rich, but so delicious for a occasional treat.

I like the combination of gorgonzola/taleggio/fontina/gouda or edam, I am not sure of the availability of taleggio outside italy, you can also use grated parmiggiano and/or emmenthar instead, or any cheese that melt well. (I definetely suggest making a little gorgonzola a part of it, even if you don't really care for it. I for myself, I can't stand it raw just by itself, and I would have never thought I would eat such a thing until I tried it in this sauce. The flavour transforms itself to something really pleasant and I guarantee a nice surprise!!) Cut them in small cubes and heat them in a double boiler, add some cooking cream and milk and dash of white pepper, keep on cooking until it attains a smooth texture, stirring often. This is also wonderful mixed with steamed broccoli, you can enjoy it with potatoes as well...

What is known as "garlic bread" is not exactly an Italian custom, but I can introduce also a wonderful "cousin" Bruschetta. Take a hearty slice of crusty bread and broil both sides, either rub a clove of garlic cut in half onto one surface, or sautè crushed garlic in a good evoo and brush on the mixture (less hazzardous aftereffect this way:-p ), pile on top with chopped fresh ripe tomatoes and fresh basil leaves, drizzle good evoo and a pinch of salt. It is a wonderful appetizer or just a tasty snack, also something your hubby could enjoy.

I hope these suggestions will help!!

Buon Appetito!!:chef:

cooking Italian style!

Thanks so much. I can hardly wait to try these ideas. My sons and I will have a wonderful time. Thanks so much. I will let you know how they turn out and if I have any questions, I'll get back to you.
:)

cook4health said:
Thanks so much. I can hardly wait to try these ideas. My sons and I will have a wonderful time. Thanks so much. I will let you know how they turn out and if I have any questions, I'll get back to you.
:)

Glad you liked the ideas!! Enjoy!!:chef:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom