Quick help for tonight's dinner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

abjcooking

Head Chef
I have a cube steak marinateing right now. I have read that this cut of meat get's more tender the longer you cook it, such as stews, but the same article says that the options for cooking are broil, grill, saute, and stir fry. All of these are quick cooking. How do you think the best way of cooking this would be for the meat to be most tender? I am planning on having it in the marinade for at least 2 hours. I do not have the ingredients to make a stew with this, I was just planning on serving the meat with some steamed brocalli.

Well, since you don't have the ingredients to make a stew then it looks like your only options are the quick cooking methods that you listed. Just ensure that you rest the meat for a short while after cooking it.

Iornchef, it's a lawry's pre-made marinade. It's called steak and chop with garlic and cracked black pepper, lemon juice, vinegar, salt, soy sauce, mustard, paprika, caraway, and tumeric are the main ingredients.

Cube steak has been mechanically tenderized so that shouldn't be a problem. Use any quick cooking method that you like for steaks and enjoy.

Well, the boyfriend didn't get home until 10:30 and by then it was just too late to fix, so I put it into the frige and will cook it today. I have a feeling the marinade might be a little too strong now, but I'll give it a try and see what happens. At least it is a cheap cut of meat. Thanks for all the help.

abj, wish I had something good to say about cube steak. Tried it years ago, & as I recall, it's such a thin cut, minute steak, doubt it needs marinating. The recipe I tried, was from a mag -- a stuffing/veg mixture was rolled up inside the cubed steak. All the ingreds were great, but didn't like the taste of cubed steak. Let us know what you come up with... but, honestly, after my taste experience with cubed steak, I hesitate to try it again.

Best thing I can think of, is to make it a Philly Cheesesteak sandwich, and bury it in cheese, onions and peppers on a thick roll.

Last edited:
Try this:

Brown the cube steak and set it aside. Sauté some onions and mushrooms in a skillet. Add some sour cream and tomato or V8 Juice and simmer for a few minutes. Return the steaks to the pan to reheat. Serve over egg noodles.

OK, here is the result. The meat came out so tender that I could almost cut it with a fork, however the marinade was overpowering. I quickly seared it on each side. I'm thinking next time I will try to marinate it for 5 hours and then cook. Overall I think it is something to experiment with.

Cube steak is good for Chicken Fried Steak. Just dredge in seasoned flour, dip in beaten egg & milk, back in flour, and into and inch of hot (350) oil. It's delicious with cream gravy and mashed potatoes.

It also makes a good smothered steak. Dredge in seasoned flour, and brown in skillet, remove from skillet and set aside. Caramelize onions in the skillet (may also add mushrooms and/or peppers), add a bit of flour to the pan to make a roux and add water or broth. Return meat to pan, and let simmer until tender. This is also good with mashed potatoes.

I agree with Constance.... Chicken fried steak will be your best bet. As long as you have a good cut of meat.(tenderized) Use your left over drippiongs to make your gravy.

Back
Top Bottom