Poking holes=mush?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Talyn

Assistant Cook
I'm looking for a recipe for pineapple coconut cakes for my brother's birthday on Saturday. I went looking through the internet (and here) and found that a lot of recipes say to poke holes and pour a pineapple-saucy thing made over the stove. I was wondering whether or not this would make the cake a little too gooey instead of cakey?

And also, if I did do this, how would I get the cake out of the pan?

This is the recipe I was thinking of using, except maybe with yellow cake or devil's food:

Ingredients:
1 pkg white cake mix, prepared according to package directions, and baked in 13x9x2 pan
1 can coconut milk
1 can condensed milk
1 can crushed pineapple
1 8oz Cool Whip
1/2 c flaked coconut
1/2 c toasted and chopped pecans

Directions:
While cake is warm, poke holes on top - I use the handle of a wooden spatula. Pour evenly over cake the can of coconut milk followed by the condensed milk. Spread evenly on top the crushed pineapple. Spread Cool Whip over that. Sprinkle with coconut and pecans. Cover and refrigerate at least 4 hours or overnight.

---

Do you think it may turn out gooey if I did this? And do you think it might be gooey/mushy if I did it to two layers?

I think this is a classic tres leches cake . And it is delicious. It will not be mushy but it is not necessarily "cakey".

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom