5/13 Special: Got Kobe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ironchef

Executive Chef
I love my job. I don't know why this picture came out blurry. If I had known, I would've taken another one because you can't really see the amount of marbling that was in this meat. You can still kind of see it, but you can't really see how much there really was. It almost melted in your mouth.

Tataki of Prime Kobe Beef Striploin
Vermicelli Rice Noodles, Daikon, Pickled Cucumber, Ponzu Sauce, Sriracha

$16.00

Tataki is a method of Japanese cooking which involves very quick searing (usually beef or tuna) over high heat, then the food item is thinly sliced and served ultra-rare.

Attachments

• kobebeeftataki.jpg
    kobebeeftataki.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 222
I had Kobe beef once & it was absolutely delicious!! It was a filet mignon rather than a strip loin & was served on a bed of wasabi mashed potatoes. While I'm not usually a fan of filet mignon as I find other beef cuts tastier, I must say that that's definitely not the case with Kobe beef. And even cooked rare it was still fork-tender - no knife necessary.

Much of the kobe beef on the market today comes from cows raised and farmed in the USA. They are raised 80% of the way here, and then are shipped back to Japan where the other 20% is completed and they are then slaughtered. This is because it is much, much, much cheaper to raise cattle here than in Japan. If anyone remembers, there was a big boom about maybe 15 years ago or so that these Japanese companies were buying lots and lots of ranch land.

Yes, I know & remember that. Let's face it - Japan is definitely NOT set up for large-scale beef farming.

But regardless of where it was raised, it was absolutely delicious, & unlike any regular filet mignon I'd had in the past.

Kobi or the American version "Wagu". Wagu as we know it in the USA is a cross bred animal between Japanese Kobi and a American line. Currently the price of Wagu in the midest is right around $40.00+ a pound for tenderloin.
Mark

Ironchef, that looks lovely. I had Kobe beef in Fukuoka many years ago.It was lovely and rare, it was great. I was very adventurous while living there, I had to try everything.

Back
Top Bottom