TNT Lemon Buttermilk Pie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

QSis

Washing Up
Lot of lemon going on in this category these days.:)

Well, I was dying to try buttermilk pie, and my mom loves lemon, so I made this version for Mother's Day.

The good news is that it tasted verrrrrrry lemony and verrrrrrrry delicious. The bad news is that I now really want to taste plain buttermilk pie.

What a lovely consistency this pie is!

I grated nutmeg on top, but I'd like to have a better presentation. You think maybe lemon slices in the middle or a sprig of mint, or both?

Lee

Lemon Buttermilk Pie

INGREDIENTS:
  • 4 eggs
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 2 tablespoons flour
  • 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
  • 1/4 cup butter, melted
  • grated peel of 1 lemon
  • 3 tablespoons lemon juice
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1 baked 9-inch pie shell
  • cinnamon, optional
PREPARATION:
In a large mixing bowl beat eggs and sugar until light and lemon-colored. Beat in flour, then buttermilk, melted butter, lemon peel, lemon juice, and vanilla. Pour mixture into pie shell. If desired, sprinkle top lightly with cinnamon.

Bake in a 375° oven for 25 minutes, or until knife inserted near center comes out clean. Cool on rack.

Makes one 9-inch buttermilk pie, or about 8 servings.

Attachments

• Lemon Buttermilk pies.JPG
    Lemon Buttermilk pies.JPG
    101.2 KB · Views: 254
Last edited:
What about candied lemon peel? I bet you could make it look very pretty and it would stay with the theme.....LEMON.

I make a pecan buttermilk pie that is wonderful! It tastes like pecan pie but many fewer calories. Anybody interested in the recipe?

Swann said:
I make a pecan buttermilk pie that is wonderful! It tastes like pecan pie but many fewer calories. Anybody interested in the recipe?

I absolutely love pecan pie but have given it up because of all the calories....I will be your BESTEST friend if you will share the recipe. :)

Thanks for sharing this recipe. On my today's list, I have to culture some fresh buttermilk for cheesemaking, how timely to find this recipe

IcyMist said:
I absolutely love pecan pie but have given it up because of all the calories....I will be your BESTEST friend if you will share the recipe. :)
Here are 2 different pecan pies that I have made numerous times over the years.

Buttermilk Pecan Pie 9" unbaked pie shell
Mix together well:
1/2 C butter... melted
2 C sugar
2 tsp vanilla
3 eggs
3 TBS flour
1/4 tsp salt
1 C buttermilk
Sprinkle 1 C pecans over pie shell. Pour filling over.
Makes a lot of filling so use 1 1/2 C pecans for 10' pie.
Bake at 300° for 1 1/2 hours

Pecan chess pie
Mix together well:
1 C brown sugar
1/2 C white sugar
1 TBS flour
3 eggs
2 TBS cream
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 C melted butter
1 1/2 C pecans
9" unbaked pie shell