Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums

Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/)
-   Today's Menu (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f104/)
-   -   Your local food products (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f104/your-local-food-products-22459.html)

CharlieD 05-16-2006 02:48 PM

I don't know if you can call lutefisk (sp?) a delicacy. If you ask me, it is only good if you eat something poisoned and you need syrup of ipecac and there isnít any available. :rofl:

mudbug 05-16-2006 02:51 PM

I agree their stuff is pretty good for off-the-shelf, except for those little chocolate donuts that seem to be covered in wax.

Also with you on bringing something the giftee likes rather than what you like. I'll send you my list.

mudbug 05-16-2006 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CharlieD
I don't know if you can call lutefisk (sp?) a delicacy. If you ask me, it is only good if you eat something poisoned and you need syrup of ipecac and there isnít any available. :rofl:

:lol: No argument here, Charlie. But regarding local foods - the one time I visited your beautiful state I noticed loads of places selling native wild rice. Is that just a tourist come-on?

CharlieD 05-16-2006 02:58 PM

Mudbug, my wife loves wild rise. Me, I hate it. It is wild all right, but it ain't no rice. Brrrr...

mudbug 05-16-2006 03:05 PM

You are right, it's not rice. Techically, it's a grass. I happen to like it, but to each his own.

The Z 05-16-2006 03:15 PM

ummm...

Buffet ?

ironchef 05-16-2006 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vyapti
I just from a poe dink town. I now have access to several asian markets, ethnic delis and a couple fresh seafood markets (we live about an hour from the ocean). My favorite new additions are pancetta, reasonably priced soba noodles and all the cheeses.

I do miss the fresh produce I had access to, living in a rural area, especially asparagus and apples. An apple picked from the tree and one bought in a store are not even comparable.

For those of you in California, Have you had fresh picked avocado? How does it compare to store bought.

Oregon has some great products as well.

Wine (Pinot Noir, Riesling, Chardonnay)
Beer (Rogue, Widmeir Brothers, Deshutz, Full Sail)
Tillamook Cheese
Truffles
Mushrooms
Laughing Stock Pork
Yaquina Bay Oysters
Ponderosa Ranch Prime Beef or Buffalo

I also agree with JKath about the Haas avocados being the best.

vyapti 05-16-2006 03:26 PM

I can get Widmer Bros just about anywhere and, in the summer, I keep it stocked up. They make some great commercials too.

RDG 05-16-2006 04:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I don't know if you come in MIlano. but, if so......
Sausages (luganega) in north area
Wines (Barbera) in the South area
And, obviously, absolutely, definitely and all the "ly" you know.....

PANETTONE!!!
Typical from Milano, the smallest big city in the world....
(Sorry, but I love my town...:lol: :lol: )

mudbug 05-16-2006 04:26 PM

RDG, they sell panettone here at Christmas time. I will have to look carefully to see if I can find one made in Milano to know that I am getting the right one!