Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums

Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/)
-   Off Topic Discussions (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f26/)
-   -   I found some old cookbooks (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f26/i-found-some-old-cookbooks-22500.html)

middie 05-16-2006 08:13 PM

I found some old cookbooks

Well I went to my dad's today to collect setimental things. That was hard. But I was looking in the cabinets in his kitchen and found some pretty old cookbooks.

Family Circle Favorite Recipes 1977
Homemade Bread 1969

And here's the real kicker

Pillsbury's 4th Grand National 100 Prize Winning Recipes NEW 1953 cookbook !!!

I thought that was pretty cool and I wanted to share with you guys.

PA Baker 05-16-2006 08:16 PM

Very cool, middie! I'm sure they provided a good distraction to such a hard job. You'll have to try out some of the recipes!

[[hugs]]

kadesma 05-16-2006 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by middie
Well I went to my dad's today to collect setimental things. That was hard. But I was looking in the cabinets in his kitchen and found some pretty old cookbooks.

Family Circle Favorite Recipes 1977
Homemade Bread 1969

And here's the real kicker

Pillsbury's 4th Grand National 100 Prize Winning Recipes NEW 1953 cookbook !!!

I thought that was pretty cool and I wanted to share with you guys.

I know how hard it is Middie, you're braver than I am..I have yet to go through mom's things and I know I have to..I'm glad you found something to treasure and look at and remember..Hang in there, I know how you're feeling and will keep you close in my thougts.

kadesma

texasgirl 05-16-2006 08:29 PM

That's a cool find, middie.

middie 05-16-2006 08:35 PM

lol just noticed the retail value of the pillsbury one was 25 cents !!

Michelemarie 05-17-2006 07:51 AM

Middie, glad you found some things that made you smile - and will always make you smile whenever you look at them. I know this is a hard time for you, hugs coming your way.

Andy M. 05-17-2006 07:54 AM

middie:

Really nice remembrances of your dad.

When you look through the cookbooks you'll find it interesting how much recipes and cookbooks have changed over the years.

SizzlininIN 05-17-2006 08:00 AM

Thats great Middie! I understand how hard this is for you. I have some of mom and dads kitchen items throughout my kitchen and think of them each time I use them.......its like I have a piece of them around me with some of their items here and in use.

Stay strong my friend!

Swann 05-17-2006 12:52 PM

Oh come on... really old cookbooks? I have some older than that that belong to me and were purchased by me. Julia Child's were from the 1960s and I do not consider those to be relegated to the the thrift shop of oldies! I have 600+ cookbooks and many are 1940s-1950s. I also have some classic of the early 1900s as a couple of The White House Cookbook that have recipes for removal of freckles! It doesn't work! Many of the classic cookbooks of Irma Rombauer are of the 1950s that are updated occassionally. Betty Crocker has changed over the years by dropping recipes and adding ones that are thought to be more timely.

Andy M. 05-17-2006 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swann
Oh come on... really old cookbooks?...

I guess everyone's frame of reference is different.