"Egglands Best" eggs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Birds can eat cooked chicken bones?
I thought only raw bones were OK for animals....

We buy Egg Innovation's eggs. They come in white or brown, same price and we buy the brown. We buy them because they taste much better than the other eggs offered in the grocery store.
We have done side by side comparisons and the Egg Innovation eggs, although labeled the same size, generally have more whites and brighter yolks, and after cooking are larger and more appealing in appearance. But bottom line, they do taste much better to us than the other eggs.
We did compare them to Egglands, and Egglands did not impress us, so we stick with Egg Innovations. They are vegetarian fed, cage free but it was the taste that got us eating them. Now you can't pay DW to go back to one of the other grocery store brands.

a vegetarian chicken

ok...a vegetarian chicken??? last time i checked all chickens ate ground up corn called hen scratch...and corn was a vegetable the last time i checked so therefore wouldnt that mean that all chickens are vegetarian?
i firmly believe that the term "layed by a vegetarian chicken is a advertising scam to get vegetarians to buy their eggs...

Muryful - for a gazillion years now commercial & many backyard chicken flocks have been fed feeds that contain a heck of a lot more than corn. Like fish meal, meat meal, poultry meal, bone meal, yadayadayada.

You've been sadly mistaken if all these years you thought eggs - & chickens - were "vegetarian".

I have never noticed a difference between Eggland eggs and just plain ole' eggs. I do notice that the yolks are very , very yellow bordering on orange. I don't like that. Looks like dye to me. :rolleyes: For the price they're asking they have to be a lot better than they are.

Muryful - for a gazillion years now commercial & many backyard chicken flocks have been fed feeds that contain a heck of a lot more than corn. Like fish meal, meat meal, poultry meal, bone meal, yadayadayada.

You've been sadly mistaken if all these years you thought eggs - & chickens - were "vegetarian".

At one time, I raised chickens. They had the run of the yard and were mostly kept in a pen, surounded by chicken wire. At night, they stayed in the roost. The chickens were indeed fed corn, but were also fed chicken feed, wich contained much more than corn. Also, they ate every insect they could catch. I also watched a mouse make the mistake of running through the hen house. The hens attacked that mouse ferociously and had it consumed in a matter of less than a minute. You have no doubt heard of sharks and the famous "feeding frenzy". Well, from personal observation, when a small animal gets near enough to chickens, they put the shark to shame. Chickens are not, and I repeat this, are not vegetarians. They are omnivores, as are many birds. They also eat worms and grubs when they find them.

Seeeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

I don't buy Eggland's simply because I don't believe they're any better than the free-range or local farm-raised eggs I get around here. And I can't believe part of their exhorbitant price isn't because they feel the need to put that stupid little red rubber-stamped "EB" on every single egg. Good grief.

As far as orange yolks DQ - don't automatically write them off. While Eggland's are probably produced by the feeding of such natural foodstuffs as marigold petals (remember good old Frank Perdue & his yellow chickens? Marigold petals are part of their feeding program for just that reason), a tight white, & high, deep orange yolk is normally the sign of a chicken that's been allowed to eat what chickens normally eat when "out on the range".

When I raised chickens, those deep orange yolks - the product of chickens grazing in the garden along with being fed an abundance of chicken scraps - were a sign of truly superior eggs.

If all you're used to are pale yellow yolks though, I can see why the dark color might throw you.

I don't buy Eggland's simply because I don't believe they're any better than the free-range or local farm-raised eggs I get around here. And I can't believe part of their exhorbitant price isn't because they feel the need to put that stupid little red rubber-stamped "EB" on every single egg. Good grief.

As far as orange yolks DQ - don't automatically write them off. While Eggland's are probably produced by the feeding of such natural foodstuffs as marigold petals (remember good old Frank Perdue & his yellow chickens? Marigold petals are part of their feeding program for just that reason), a tight white, & high, deep orange yolk is normally the sign of a chicken that's been allowed to eat what chickens normally eat when "out on the range".

When I raised chickens, those deep orange yolks - the product of chickens grazing in the garden along with being fed an abundance of chicken scraps - were a sign of truly superior eggs.

If all you're used to are pale yellow yolks though, I can see why the dark color might throw you.

Same as a yellow skinned chicken compared to a white skinned chicken. Sometimes it just doesn't look right because we are not used to it.

Clover will make for some deeper colored yolks, too.

I grew up in the country. When I was little we used to buy eggs from a farm. I remember there being a refrigerator on the front porch and you would go get your eggs out of the refrigerator and leave the money in the box that was inside the refrigerator. Oh, the good ol days when people could be trusted. Anyway, they had a beautiful deep yellow almost orange yolk and they were the best eggs.

I have never noticed a difference between Eggland eggs and just plain ole' eggs. I do notice that the yolks are very , very yellow bordering on orange. I don't like that. Looks like dye to me. :rolleyes: For the price they're asking they have to be a lot better than they are.

Sorry, I can barely read you posts with all the formatting, so I had to put your post into the "usual" formatting to make sure I was reading it right.

Farm fresh eggs do have orange yolks. People who eat only supermarket eggs have no idea what fresh eggs look like, nor how they taste. It is most certainly worth it.

Same as a yellow skinned chicken compared to a white skinned chicken. Sometimes it just doesn't look right because we are not used to it.

Clover will make for some deeper colored yolks, too.

I stand corrected. I bought a dozen eggs from the farm a couple of days ago, right from the hen herself :LOL: and not only were they delicious and fresh but the yolks were very, very orange.

Sorry, I can barely read you posts with all the formatting, so I had to put your post into the "usual" formatting to make sure I was reading it right.

Farm fresh eggs do have orange yolks. People who eat only supermarket eggs have no idea what fresh eggs look like, nor how they taste. It is most certainly worth it.

I've noticed that when I buy the really expensive organic / free range eggs at Whole Foods, the really super-expensive brands that only appear in health food stores, they do tend to have a deep orange colour, versus the pale yellow colour you get from most supermarket brands.

I wouldn't bother paying more though for Eggland's best, or any of the big mainstream brands. There does not seem to be any difference between the "organic" / "free run" big brand eggs and the everyday supermarket eggs. They look identical to me.

Frankly, I'd never be able to tell the difference in taste between the worst egg in the world and the best egg in the world. I probably have the worst sense of taste in the world. But I don't mind paying $2 or even $5 extra if there's a chance that it means the chickens are being treated decently.

I pay extra for one brand I cannot recall right now. If I can't get my usual brand, I get whatever is labeled "vegetarian feed". I just cannot stomach the idea of chickens being fed chicken parts. Cannibal chickens... that's just messed up and I don't care if they willingly eat one another.

^ I did not need that image stuck in my head, Ekim. While I understand the sentiment, I think your comment borders on the political.
Buy what you want and eat what you want but please don't share those images with me.
Thanks, Pie Susan

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom