Chicken Fried Steak

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You live in TX and don't know how to make the official state dish? Well, some in San Antonio might argue it's Chili ..

The 25-cent answer ... you take a piece of cubed steak, dredge it in flour, dip in a egg or egg/buttermilk wash, then dip in flour again ... then into a frying pay with about 1/2 - 1-inch of hot oil, or into a deep fryer. Cook it up just like you would for fried chicken ... hence the name - Chicken Fried steak.

We all have our little "differences" in how we make it ... some use more salt/pepper to season their flour, some add onion and/or garlic salt/powder ... so here is a place where you can compare various recipes and take your choice.

Last edited:
And how does everyone make that delicious white gravy that goes with it? Just a basic rue like with biscuits and gravy or should there be some other seasonings? (I only add salt and pepper to my gravy usually.)

There's yer white gravy - yes, it's like sausage biscuit gravy - or yer brown gravy. I like mine w/brown gravy.

I do the flour/buttermilk/flour method; flour is seasoned w/salt, coarse ground pepper, and a little garlic powder/cayenne. Let that sit on a rack, while I saute some sliced onions in oil/butter on medium-high heat, til they just begin to caramelize. Remove the onions from the pan, add some more oil (about 1/2 inch in the skillet), then add the coated steaks, fry til browned on one side, turn and cook the other side about 2 minutes. Take them off the heat, remove most of the oil from the skillet, add some flour, cook that off, and add some beef broth. Stir it around to make a smooth gravy, and add the steaks and onions back in to the skillet, turn heat on low and let it all simmer for about 10 minutes. Yum!:chef:

I double bread my cube steak cook onions with it,if I am using brown gravy.
if I am using white pepper gravy I omit the onions...AND it is truely a great dish,
you should try it, I doubt you wont like it :)

I use saltine crackers with flour, then dip into eggs mixed with milk. Fry until done, simple and tastes GREAT! then add flour milk salt and pepper for gravy.

Chicken fried steak

Hello everyone:
this is Bigjim: this is the reason I love to cook and I love to hear what
other people have to say about a certain recipe. everybody has there own
little quirk that they use in there recipe, That is the joy of cooking. and
alot of great recipes are started this way. different people see what the
different members are doing with that recipe, and eventully it turns into
a classic. I make it the classic way, that was my mothers favorite recipe.
she taught me how to cook when I was a kid, And I thank her every day.
I will always be watching , take care and God Bless. Just waiting for some
of Gods little Pleasures....

Chicken Fried Steak With Cream Gravy
4 Tenderized beef cutlets ("cube steak")
OR 1 round steak, with fat removed, that you've tenderized yourself
1 Egg
¼ Cup Milk
All−purpose flour
Cooking oil or melted Crisco
½ Teaspoon Salt
¼ Teaspoon Ground black pepper
¼ Teaspoon Paprika
¼ Teaspoon White pepper
Beat together the egg and milk and set aside. Mix together the salt, black pepper, paprika and white pepper and sprinkle on both sides of beef cutlets.
Dredge the cutlets in the flour, shaking off the excess. Then dip each cutlet in the egg/milk mixture, then back in the flour. Set cutlets aside on a piece of waxed paper.
Heat the cooking oil in a large cast−iron or other heavy skillet over medium−high heat for a few minutes. Oil should be about a half−inch deep in
the pan. Check the temperature with a drop of water; if it pops and spits back at you, it's ready.
With a long−handled fork, carefully place each cutlet into the hot oil.
Protect yourself (and your kitchen) from the popping grease that results.
Fry cutlets on both sides, turning once, until golden brown. Reduce heat to
low, cover and cook 4 or 5 minutes until cutlets are done through. Drain
cutlets on paper towels.

Cream Gravy
After the cutlets are removed from the pan, pour off all but about 2
tablespoons of oil, keeping as many as possible of the browned bits in the
pan. Heat the oil over medium heat until hot.
Sprinkle 3 tablespoons flour (use the left−over flour from the chicken fried
steak recipe (waste not −− want not) in the hot oil. Stir with a wooden
spoon, quickly, to brown the flour.
Gradually stir in add ¾ cup milk and ¾ cup water, mixed together, stirring
constantly with the wooden spoon and mashing out any lumps. Lower heat, and
gravy will begin to thicken. Continue cooking and stirring a few minutes
until gravy reaches desired thickness. Check seasonings and add more salt
and pepper according to your taste.

Actually we usually leave out the egg.

Take the beef, dredge in flour, and push the flour into the meat.

Let it sit for ten or twenty minutes or so, and repeat the process.

Let it sit again and fry.

Letting the flour sit on the meat for a time lets the flour stick to the meat and we get a nice crust.

Oh yeah, and always season the flour with whatever we feel like at the time.

The way you make chicken-fried steak is very similar to my method, auntdot. I always season it with white pepper, and you're spot-on about giving the coat of flour time to set.

I've never used egg in this dish, but I can see how it'd work. I make the milk gravy with it because that's the way most of the people I cook this for used to have it, most are from the lower Midwestern states.

:) When I make chicken fried steak it is with venison its just as good I also make a ton of it, let the cutlets cool and freeze.Then all I hafto do is pull a few steaks thaw a few minutes and heat in a 350 degree oven for around 15-20 minutes it is still really good that way and convienent.The steaks also make a great sandwich cold steaks,tomatoes,lettuce maybe a little sliced onion and mayo on some nice bread.Yummy!

jpmcgrew said:
:) When I make chicken fried steak it is with venison its just as good I also make a ton of it, let the cutlets cool and freeze.Then all I hafto do is pull a few steaks thaw a few minutes and heat in a 350 degree oven for around 15-20 minutes it is still really good that way and convienent.The steaks also make a great sandwich cold steaks,tomatoes,lettuce maybe a little sliced onion and mayo on some nice bread.Yummy!

Wow! So glad to hear about that. We have mucho venison in the freezer, all loins and hams, all young tender does. The loins would be great for this.
Question: do you do any special marinade, or just pound with a meat mallet?

:) Constance,we get them from the meat processor people already tenderized so just cook the venison the same way you would beef no difference in seasoning.They just need to be cubed or what ever they do to the beef. I think you will be really pleased with the results.Also cheaper and better health wise as venison to me is organic or natural.So yes just pound the daylights out of it and cook away.

Last edited:
Well, I don't know about cheaper, as DH hunts. After you consider what it costs for the guns, license, permits, clothing, boots, etc, it's probably pretty pricey.
But it's definately healthy...very lean, with no growth hormones or antibiotics added.
When my arthritis starts getting me down, I cut out the pork and beef, and stick with poultry, fish and venison. It makes such a difference, I should eat that way all the time. But you know how it is...gotta have a ribeye, porkchop, or burger now and then.

sorry to Bump this thread again, But...

my wife bought several thin (about 1cm) Frying steaks, now I know these can be tough if overcooked or handled too much, I don`t want to use the meat tenderiser powder (Papaya extract) as it changes the taste of the meat IMO.

I`de Like to do something similar that mentioned in here, but cut into strips and serve with a sweet/sour dip.

I want it also to be Chinese style in flavour, so plentt ginger 5 spice etc...

is this Totaly the wrong sort of meat to use? or is there a way I can marinade this that will tenderise it first?
I will be cutting the strips on the bias.

Thnx :)

Skits-O-phreniC said:
I use saltine crackers with flour, then dip into eggs mixed with milk. Fry until done, simple and tastes GREAT! then add flour milk salt and pepper for gravy.
That works great, I promise. Bout to add that to my standard recipe, I still season the breading a little bit.

Sometimes I make cream gravy and sometimes I make pan gravy.

Edit: I saw somebody else mentioning letting the steaks once they've been coated set for a little while, I endorse this idea.

Back
Top Bottom